Impeller replacement

As preventive maintenance I'd like to change the impellers for both of my motors.

The main one is Suzuki 115HP, Fuel injection, two strokes

The kicker is Yamaha 9.9HP 4 stroke, high thrust

I've got the impeller kits (impeller wheel, gaskets, etc.) for both motors.

Looking for someone in West GTA/Brampton/Oakville/Milton who can do the work for me.

I'd like to watch so I can do it myself next time.

My neighbor mechanic promised to do it but he is so busy I am not sure when it can be done.

I'd like it done sooner rather than later to prevent potential problems on the water during the season.

If someone can do it and is nearby feel free to PM with price. Hoping to save some money by going to individual knowing how to do it vs. going to a marine/dealer and get charged an arm and two legs.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Wait for your buddy to do it for you. That way for the price of a couple of beers you will learn how it's done as well as any other maintenance that may need to be done. Impellors take quite a while to wear out.

its not all that difficult disconnect the shift rod where it connects they vary,pull all the lower bolts out of the gearcase,some hide behind underneath the steering tab and plunk it off put the very bottom of your skeg in a vice with wood pieces ,easy cheap work stand,undo the 4 screws holding the impeller housing on lift off slowly,there on a keyway on top a SS plate,slide it up the driveshaft,slide new one down, reverse procedure for assembly,some models lineing up the water pipe is the hardest job,try it if ya cant wait ,unless ya run in a lot of shallow water and dirt area I cannot see those impellers being worn yet,they last a long time if there pumping full streams of water GO fishing

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

Like 2tone says... go fishing and save your hard earned money (or in your case the parts for when you need them). You've got two engines.. wait for one impellor to fail and use the other motor to come home. Probably won't happen in the time you own the boat anyhow... provided you never start it dry. This includes when launching. Drop the engine down and give it a bit to fill itself before hitting the key. I see way too many still "pre-starting" their motors on shore.. then launching.

My Verado says impellor change at 3 years... ain't gonna happen 'till I see the water pressure read out start to fade.

Just got the impeller in my 06 115 merc. 290 hours. ( thats a lot for an 06. a whole lot. ) The old impellor they gave back to us, is still just like brand new. It is going back in when this new one fails.

for $50 is it worth taking the risk...

Change it Emil, and never look back...

different impellors last different...

my 1975 Merc 150HP impellor was way smaller then my cousins 1996 Evinrude 40HP impellor...

when we changed his last season, it was the first time it was everchanged, we broke the paint around the lower unit, and the thing still looked mint...

i wouldn't dream of going that long on my merc...