Boat Trailer - Help!

johnnyb

Was just starting to think that maybe I should look around for a second hand boat trailer for my little 14 foot aluminum, but I have no idea what a good deal would be. As luck would have it, I noticed one in the local paper's classifieds today, good for a boat just my size! The guys is asking $495. Obviously I have to see it and make sure it's not about to fall apart, but, what I'm asking is, does this sound like a good deal for a trailer in good shape?

Thought, comments are appreciated. :)

Well so far, it's about half the price of picking one up from Crappy Tire brand new..but for now it doesn't matter, as I just found out that the unit in question is sold. :( Thanks for the input anyway, guys :)

Used trailers can be a steal or a bad deal but if you know what to look for you can tell easy enough.

Hopefully the used trailer will be seen without a old boat on it that the owner is trying to just get rid of also. If there is no boat on the trailer you can really get a good look at the trailer. Trailers have many vibrations because most times the tires where never balanced and they don't have shocks. So look VERY closely for cracks, especially around the springs, where the axles are anchored to the trailer frame and the fenders.

Take a close look at the tires. Surprisingly these tires cost more than you think. Many of them will have weird wear patterns because of not being balanced and no shocks. Also watch for dry rot especially the side walls. The tire can look almost brand new only for it to come apart on the road due to dry rot.

The next thing of course is the wheel bearing and this can be very easily tested by jacking up the trailer and spin the tire. It should be pretty much quite while spinning and shouldn't want to stop. Once it stops spinning check the end play. There should be a LITTLE but not much when you grab the tire on the top and the bottom and try to rock it in place.

The last thing would be the trailer lights. Rewiring isn't that hard but it can add up and cost you more then you think.

I would price a reasonable new trailer and try to get a used trailer at 50% or MORE off that price. Don't over spend on something that been through the war just to save a little money because the repairs add up fast.

Good Luck Trailer Hunting,

Bob

I was in the same situation as you last fall. I had a line on a few trailers, and brought fishnsled along with me to inspect them. He brought a jack and tested the wheels/bearings. As it turned out, the trailer, which at first glance looked good needed all new bearings, and had quite a bit of rust under the new paint job.

I ended up buying a brand new one at a marina on Rice Lake.....it was around 800 bucks brand new.

Keep your eyes open, sometimes you can find a cheap boat and trailer for next to nothing if the boat is scrap and you could easily sell the boat cheap leaving you with a decent trailer for very little. But a new trailer will likely run you 6-800 bucks or more. There was one for 900 on Trader.ca. I need to find me one for my 14ft too.

really excellent feedback...that is exactly what I need. Thanks guys! The old-timer listing the trailer in question said that it was his dad's, and needed to get rid of it. He himself might be getting rid of his own, as he doesn't get out much either...so maybe, just MAYBE I can play trailer inspector soon!