Opening Weekend Report

rhare

I always look forward to opening day. Ive been fishing the same river for as long as I could cast. Its a great place and not pressured like a lot of tribs in the area. We arrived at the old faithful spot just at light. about 5 mins later Dan gets his first fish. A scrappy dropback hen. I snap a pic and next drift I get a pick up. Some runs and jumps and in comes another hen. Just as I was landing her a crew of guys walk in and start fishing. So much for that spot. We head up river to the next pool. Dan gets a little brown. Few drifts later I hook a brute that peels around the river and eventually pops the hook. bummer. The river just seemed slow this year. The high water so late in the season washed a lot of fish out of the river.

by this time last year we had 15 between the 2 of us!. There is usually a good mix of browns and specks in the river but they seemed to have vanished this year. Up to the next set of pools. Already people in there fishing. Of course its people I have never seen that just walked in to the posted area with out permission. What can ya do they were all over this weekend. Every place I went there was someone trespassing.

We decided to fish a stretch of creek that was loaded with fish last week. The water was crystal clear and quite shallow. We had to hide behind trees and stay way back from the river. bouncing small white and peach roe bags with a single split shot worked stellar. It was something to watch the fish zero in on the bag from downstream and suck it up. We managed a bunch of fish this way. Today started the same with 3 nice males on full dew worms. One of which took Dan 200 yards or so downriver. After that it was nothing but egg suckers. Off we went to try sight fishing again. we fished a new section of river that was loaded with fish. managed a few and broke off few. All and all it wasn't too bad of a weekend. Hers a few pics enjoy.

DSCF0738.jpg

DSCF0740.jpg

A little wee brown

DSCF0742.jpg

Lots of little fish this year

DSCF0744.jpg

DSCF0746.jpg

DSCF0748.jpg

Some fish from today

DSCF0750.jpg

DSCF0751.jpg

Action shot

DSCF0754.jpg

DSCF0755.jpg

DSCF0759.jpg

sight fishing male, he ran up river to hit the roe bag in a ft of water

DSCF0762.jpg

DSCF0764.jpg

DSCF0768.jpg

Great report...even better pics! A nice mix of browns and steelies you got there...some real nice colours on some. Sorry to hear about the company you guys ran into up there, but you still managed to have a great day on the river as far as I'm concerned. Congrats!