What is the maximum allowable length of a dock?

jonnybass

Good Question j-b.....

Never had the chance to bring mine in last year before the quick/sudden IceIn,,,,and there it stayed all winter long only to be badly damaged by the iceOut. Had 'er tied to a tree attached to an eye bolt at the end of the dock so it wouldnt be washed away. Right now it is still on my property but under about 2-3' of water.

This year Ill be re-building it.

It was 32' in length....(2 - 16' sections)

I have only spoken with a few of the neighbours.......they have reccommended going to the town hall to inquire as to legal length.

Im going to avoid this as it could lead to scrutiny over my septic.....dont want them looking to closely.

One thing for sure.......Ill only build it in 8' sections tho..(stronger/less movement), and then attach them together with quick release bolts. 16' would be ample for my tinny..(the big boat will be at a dedicated slip on the BOQ)

I think most likely Ill be going w/3 - 8' sections for 24'....because of the way the shore line goes Ill still be in-line w/the neighbours as far as projection into the water.

Im sorry but do not know the legal limit.

I would think as long as it doesnt interefere with other boaters or someones view it would suffice.

bNb

Our regulations for Alpine Village Homeowners Association state:

"the maximum size of a dock in the lagoon (where I park the "Tin of Beans") is 36 inches wide by 20 feet in length or as determined by the association"

"the construction of exterior (outside the lagoon) docking requires a permit from the Trent Severn Waterway and we as an Association must adhere to their regulations

Note: Their regulations state docks cannot exceed 48 inches wide and 30 feet long...

I hope this helps...

Maybe it would be a good idea to get your septic system checked out, especially beside a waterway that thrives on the fishing industry.

Very Good Point indeed.

You'll not like hearing this but 100% of the homes on our stretch of the Trent are on septic system that run from the rear of our homes toward the water.

Most homes are too close to the water..25-50'

My place has 120' before water and the septic drain field ends approx 80' before.

Most do not but, I have my holding tank pumped twice yearly but the problem I encountered was in the drain field where one line ruptured due to a large tree root. I severed the line completely at the source and ran 2 additional lines around the 'Now Removed" tree root.

My wish to not have anyone from the town around is due to the mere fact that you are not permitted to repair this yourself...It must be done only by the LowerTrentConservationAuthority's septic contractors and would have called for a complete removal of all lines and a new bed installed at my cost.

It works perfectly.

I had to install a fence/screen to hide the fresh backfill from view from the street however to keep nosey town workers etc..from seeing anything out of the normal.....specially with the recent river flooding.

Hardly the same money tho.

according to the real estate book I read about 2 months ago ( I was wondering about the same thing) it mostly depends on the township the dock is located in. Some shorelines cannot have a dock due to environmental issues such as spawning habitat etc.

jjcanoe