WFN Canadian Open

cranks bait

Here goes. I've been thinking about doing this for a while now. The Canadian Open in Kingston, as an amateur. Hoping some of the pros, and amatuers that have done this can give me some info.

Yes I know it is a pretty penny, but I figure it might just be a once in a lifetime experience. Compared to what my wives races cost, this is actually cheap.

Give me what you've got. Feel free to PM me if you wish to not have it posted here.

Thanks

That is correct Bill it is a draw format, so you never know who you draw, as for entries check the WFN website, it's usually about half or the pro entry, but I would check, I've made some good freinds from my former ams, and have enjoyed my experiences!-If I inherite $$ from a rich relative I didn't know exsisted I wouldn't think twice bout the entire series!.

That's why I am only looking at doing one. The cost. Of course I pick the most expensive one. But it is the closest to me so that makes up for it.

I figured it would be an awsome experience to be paired up with a pro. Being able to fish the same body of water (albeit a different section) the tips I learn can be very valuable.

So far I've heard the good. Get picked both days to be with top pros and come out near the top. I've also heard I could be paired up with someone who knows they are going nowhere and not go far from the checkin.

I have only ever fished professional walleye tournaments, so I will give the pros and cons of being an amateur/co-angler in this type of event as they have many similarities.

PROS:

- get to experience tournament angling in a tournament boat that many can only dream of owning

- make long runs to fishing spots and see how much water is covered by tournament pros

- operation and navigation of a boat

- fishing techniques and areas that hold fish

- tournament strategies

- small amount of money invested compared to fishing on the pro side

CONS:

- physically demanding runs in rough water. Some days a pro may run 40 to 50 miles in 4 to 5 foot waves to get to fish. You need to be in shape and be able to take the rough water conditions. ( A good pro will always take into consideration their co-anglers health and safety)

- if you get sea sick try to stay away from Great Lakes tournaments

- many pro anglers are there to win a tournament and not talk all day in the boat about work, or life events. Once you have a good bag in the livewell most will start to talk and joke around a bit more. :)

I feel the pros out weigh the cons and it is an experience you will never forget. The blast off in the morning is always an adrenaline rush as the boat wakes make for a very interesting take-off until the driver finds clean water.

Have a good time and enjoy the experience...

-sheldon

Edited by eye-tracker

I've also heard I could be paired up with someone who knows they are going nowhere and not go far from the checkin.

You don't need to go too far from Kingston harbor (check in) to get some big bass, I'm from Kingston and have caught many lunker's right in the harbor, and just around it. Last year (or maybe 2 years ago) I saw Dave Mercer using this exact strategy, he was fishing the overpass just before you get to fort henry- only about 2 mins from the harbor by boat (if that).

Thanks for the replies people.

As for sea sickness, I have been out in my boat for 12 hours in rough water no problem (hope I didn't just jinx myself).

Ya it would be cool to be in a boat that my wife keeps pushing me to buy (this weekend included in Kinston at the boat show).

I'm not too worried about not going far if there are fish, it's the giving up not trying that I want to avoid. I completely understand the fish now, talk later ratio. There are days that I am like that, just for recreation.

As for being the amateur, it is nice not having the big expenses as the pros. I also like the fact that I go where they go, so I cannot be blamed for a failed spot. However if need be, I know where there are some hot spots to be had, just have to travel to get to them.

Nice bass!!!!

I was also considering the Kingston event as an amateur, but fo $850, can I win cash prizes or just mechandise? I checked it out on the wfn website not too long ago and it makes no reference to prizes for amateurs other than "great prizes available for amateurs". What the hell does great prizes mean? I will probably sign up if I have the opportunity to recoup some of the entry fee.