Looks like opener is a lost cause...

kemper

Jigger,

Please check your facts....the MEA primarily stocks the Rouge with Steelhead and none of the other Eastern tribs receive any plantings of Steelhead. See link below...in fact, look at the source for the Rouge plantings (WILD fish from Duffins Creek). These creeks, as with almost every other steelhead river in the province rely on natural reproduction...which explains why we passionate steelheaders tend to get a bit over-zealous when it comes to their conservation.

http://www.glfc.org/lakecom/loc/mgmt_unit/06_app_C.pdf

Thanks for that, wallacio. Thats encouraging to know. I was wrong and I'll admit it.

Thanks for that, wallacio. Thats encouraging to know. I was wrong and I'll admit it.

Dont worry Jigger your not alone it takes a big man to admit they are wrong. I dont know you from squat but my opinion(which in my egocentric world is a thing of high value) just went up a bunch of notches. Education is the key to all fisheries the more we clear up misconceptions the better.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi all,

I think my own experience is probably one of the most truthful opinions

i just started steelheading last Nov and i was afraid of terrible things I have

heard about steelheaders. too name a few, have heard people cutting other people's lines b/c of over-drifting, b/c of

out-of-sync castings with others, b/c some think they OWN the river/spot

have I seen those terrible behaviors on rivers? the answer is YES, but it is like less than 1% of the whole steelheaders

99% of steelheaders are nice, down-to-earth and very friendly when you treat them with respect by saying hello, or

even asking for advises! some even let me have the better spots they were fishing at so that I get to have some fish!

not to mention after seeing each other couple times we even make arrangements to fish together!

having learnt so much from those nice steelheaders, I also teach other new steelheaders who obvisouly dont know what they are doing

and help them to get fish. man oh man, seeing them having fish on is way more satisfying than having my lines tight!

Special thanks to Mike, Jim, Rob, Robin, Josh and other steelheaders I have met so far

and look forward to meeting you on the river!

Hi all,

I think my own experience is probably one of the most truthful opinions

i just started steelheading last Nov and i was afraid of terrible things I have

heard about steelheaders. too name a few, have heard people cutting other people's lines b/c of over-drifting, b/c of

out-of-sync castings with others, b/c some think they OWN the river/spot

have I seen those terrible behaviors on rivers? the answer is YES, but it is like less than 1% of the whole steelheaders

99% of steelheaders are nice, down-to-earth and very friendly when you treat them with respect by saying hello, or

even asking for advises! some even let me have the better spots they were fishing at so that I get to have some fish!

not to mention after seeing each other couple times we even make arrangements to fish together!

having learnt so much from those nice steelheaders, I also teach other new steelheaders who obvisouly dont know what they are doing

and help them to get fish. man oh man, seeing them having fish on is way more satisfying than having my lines tight!

Special thanks to Mike, Jim, Rob, Robin, Josh and other steelheaders I have met so far

and look forward to meeting you on the river!

:blink::huh:

No worries Jigger...I merely pointed this fact out in order to educate with conservation in mind. Unfortunately to this day, it's still a very common misconception that our Ontario Steelhead are the result of a "put and take" fishery when in fact most of our rivers now depend on natural reproduction (entirely or in part), which of course requires an adequate number or fish to be present each year to spawn. Some systems only see a year class of a precious few individuals (a few 100 or 1000) and when you pair that with extremely high harvest rates, it's easy to understand why the repeated killing of wild fish doesn't sit well with some of us (even when it's done within the allowable limits).

Personally, I'd like to see steelhead considered a "sport fish" and be managed as such, similar to the way Musky are. It's time to move away from the attitude that they are merely fish for the pan (not that I'm against the harvest of fish from sustainable populations). Ironically, this is the case in New York which relies almost exclusively on stocking programs. There is a one fish limit for Steelhead and it's rare to see even a few anglers harvesting their allowance of one fish.

Edited by wallacio

Jigger,

look at the source for the Rouge plantings (WILD fish from Duffins Creek). These creeks, as with almost every other steelhead river in the province rely on natural reproduction...which explains why we passionate steelheaders tend to get a bit over-zealous

Rainbows/salmon were stocked originally in Great Lakes as 'put and take' fishery.

Now some steelhead reproduce successfully, thats alright. They are a non- indegenous species (almost invasive reducing brook trout habitat).

No doubt most pinners/steelheaders tend to get a bit over-zealous, but that's another story.

ehg

Edited by ehg

The steelhead fishery is self sustaining. Chinooks are definitely put and take.

Oh I think youd be suprized by the amount of naturally reproducing chinooks as well. I know tribs of the Notty were chinook Young of the Year outnumber Rainbow YOY 3/2.

Edited by Musky or Specks