ALGONQUIN PARK FISHING

Pachone

Hey Guys,

So im heading out to the good ol Algonquin at the end of May this year :canadian: . And im going to do the whole canoe..fish..portage thing...I went last year...but didnt catch a dam thing except for some really small smallmouth bass (check the profile). I was a total noob, but ive got alot more knowledge now than I did then. I think it was also because the majority of fish there is trout and i went in the middle of august, and they were prolly real deep. Still a great time.

OK. So im heading back this year and im not going to let the same thing happen..Im going prepared! hence the advice thread lol :P . I Have bought some maps and guides to fishing in Algonquin. Some of the maps have those cool depth and contouring technology for the lakes which will help spot key areas to fish and bomb with lures. And the guide describes the history of the fishing and how to catch :blahblah1: I understand Spoons work best for trout...what else can I use? jigs? colours? cranks? ?

I have never caught a trout before (im dying to get one) and its the main species there. Does anyone have any advice to help me catch these boys by the bounty?

Also i will want to eat a couple, but i do understand there are major bears up there, and i dont really want to gut and filet by my campsite...any tips for avoiding that while still enjoying fresh fish?

The books i bought explain that there are Pike and walleye that also exist there, along with the rare Lunge... Has anyone had an experience catching those in Algonquin?

Last year we travelled spot to spot each day for 3 days. This year we will pick 1 spot and venture out daily to new lakes to explore and mainly FISH!. Does anyone have any keys spots or lakes? shorefising or rivers?

Please share your advice and experiences with and about ALGONQUIN :canadian: ...everything helps guys.. THANKS :thumbsup_anim:

pS. I'll have more questions :P

Not sure yet. We will be deciding our location on the fishing conditions. I would ideally like a campsite that I can shore fish from. And with good access to lakes known for good fishing. Does anyone know any or had a good experience at there trip?

We ended up at Burnt Island last year if that rings a bell for anyone. Even Sunbeam Lake...

Probably the south central of the park we will be heading.

My "Algonquin box' contains:

small spinners - asst coulours and sizes. (I found that the ones with hair on the hook work well)

Tube jigs - asst. colours and sizes. (you will lose lots of them)

Jigs and twister tails - asst coulours

Spoons - small 'little cleos' are my favourite

small spinnerbaits - a couple colours (Blue/black seems to be the favourite)

Gulp minnows & worms (keep these with your food away from your tent as they are quite fragrant)

Dry flies - various

Jointed rapala - small, black/silver

I wouldn't be TOO concerned with the bears with respect to enjoying a meal or two of fish. Clean your fish at the water and dispose of the guts in the water. The turtles and other aquatic critters will appreciate it. If I am feeling a little paranoid about the bears, I bang on a frying pan/pot a couple times before I start to cook. Then I generally talk the entire time I cook. I figure this warns any potential visitors that I am there. (Knock on wood) - I haven't had a bear in my campsite since I was a kid in B.C.

I am sure that others will chime in shortly with more tips.

Make sure you take lots of pictures and post a report when you get back.

I am not sure if you are 'allowed' to or not, but to keep them in a garbage bag on your site doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I guess, you could burn them, but that will definitely let out a ton of scent. I always put them back where they came from.

Late May might be to late for trout fishing. Fish guts will be eatan by aquatic species pretty quick but you should bury them away from your camp site as opposed to throwing thee guts in the water. Your also going to be there during peak blackfly season have you considered that? Lakers will be to deep but specks should be available at first light and last.

My "Algonquin box' contains:

Black twister tail jigs = leechs

small panther martins and mepps spinners in all colours for some variety = minnows

Gold and red or gold and anything cleos = minnows

gold Williams spoons = minnows

a few streamers ( I fly fish as well)

and a few Gold Rapalas = minnows

Leeches are one of the main foods for park trout and gold coloured Dace are the main minnow forage for trout as well hence the gold and black look to my taclke box.

jjcanoe

Don't worry about bears too much. If one does show up, just yell at him and throw stuff. I have put the run on bears more then one...but never in the park. HOWEVER if there is cubs i'd let her have right of way.

Anyway guts in the lake IS MORE then perfectly acceptable. It's good for the ecology of the lake. It keeps the nutrients in the system.

I have a couple of spoons, that resemble a smallmouth bass. Almost every year we catch a laker with a baby smallmouth in it. There has been plenty of other good suggestions above for lures. We also get in to a few pike in teh high 30's every year. They tend to be higher up in teh water column and often we have seen them swirling at the surface chasing minnows.

Might be worth your time to bring a couple diving crank baits, and a black/silver jointed rap.

-R-

We're heading into the Park on May 9th.

Late May might be to late for trout fishing. Fish guts will be eatan by aquatic species pretty quick but you should bury them away from your camp site as opposed to throwing thee guts in the water. Your also going to be there during peak blackfly season have you considered that? Lakers will be to deep but specks should be available at first light and last.

Still too late for trout? The water shouldnt be to warm.... what areas should i look to fish?

We have considerd that it is peak season for black flies. My friends are crazy and im kinda 'stuck' going. NET SUITS LOL

man this might be a crazy trip......

The more I read your OP the more I realize you are totally new to this. I dont want to discourage you but like most beginners your going about this wrong. Algonquinn for trout is an Ice out thing. First couple weeks of the season are best after that fishing tales off greatly unless you have the proper equipment to fish deep. If your interested in catching fishthen you might as well go later and fish bass. If your interested in catching trout you need to be in the park earlier or drive a little farther up north for late May. (Timmins area)As far as the books and info on the Park take them with a grain of salt. When ever Ive been asked where I was fishing Ive always lied and Im sure Im not the only one.

Still too late for trout? The water shouldnt be to warm.... what areas should i look to fish?

We have considerd that it is peak season for black flies. My friends are crazy and im kinda 'stuck' going. NET SUITS LOL

man this might be a crazy trip......

Water temp preferences for trout are in the mid to low fifties. By late May surface temps will be low to high 60's. Ive even found 70's in shallow back bays. Find steep drop offs with logs that have fallen from shore and extend down into the water. Fish the shady side of the lake. And watch and listen for fish on the surface.

Don't get discouraged man...late May should be great. I've caught them in August flat-lining spoons for pike. Soon as the water warms up a little the bite usually takes right off i know some old timers who dont even bother hitting their favourite lakes until the Poplar buds are swollen and about to open. They only move as deep as they need to go, and they will come up into warmer water from the cold water to hit food targets. Play around with depths a little till you find what works. You should also book soon, the park can fill up quick in May....however late May might still ahve room due to the black flies lolol.

Have Fun

-R-

Don't get discouraged man...late May should be great. I've caught them in August flat-lining spoons for pike. Soon as the water warms up a little the bite usually takes right off i know some old timers who dont even bother hitting their favourite lakes until the Poplar buds are swollen and about to open. They only move as deep as they need to go, and they will come up into warmer water from the cold water to hit food targets. Play around with depths a little till you find what works. You should also book soon, the park can fill up quick in May....however late May might still ahve room due to the black flies lolol.

Have Fun

-R-

And how far north was that Ramble? We are talking about someone just starting out. And yes brook trout fishing can be good when the water temp warms up a bit because of aquatic insect activity. But that is only for Specks not lakers. Ive worked in the fishing industry for to long and have heard to many couldnt catch any stories to recognize a future one. Im one of those old timers you speak of I have been going to the park for 30 years now(since I was a teenager). Ive caught trout there at all times of the year that it is open, but with the right equipment. Im not saying he wont catch any fish but I am saying hes choosen a time that I wouldnt choose if I was sending a beginner party with no knowledge of what they are doing.

I've fished Algonquin for 25 years.

Late May is absolutely enequivocally NOT too late for either specks or lakers.

In fact I've found it to be far more consistent than the first 2 weeks after ice out.

The lakes are completely turned over, still cool enough at the surface, and much more "alive" with many more insect hatches and minnows in the shallows...

If you can stand the blackflies fishing will be prime.

As far as lure choices go spoons like the #2 EGB, 1/4oz Cleos, Williams and Dardevels are good for specks.

#2 spinners tipped with a worm are also good (I like copper coloured Blue Fox or EGB spinners if you can find them).

I've also had huge success in the park with perch coloured stickbaits and crankbaits for both specks and lakers. Smaller sizes for the specks, larger for lakers.

#5 to #9 deep diving Shad Raps work great, as well as Husky Jerks and floating Rap's.

Most of the larger interior lakes, Dickson and Lavielle being prime examples, have large populations of perch and trout like to eat them. :).

1/4 oz jigheads tipped with a white 3 or 4 inch twister tail have also been very productive for me for both species. The plus is you can work them in a wide variety of ways, very versatile.

For specks concentrate on shoreline structure like large fallen trees, beaver huts, inflows and outflows. Windswept shorelines are also good to key on as well as obvious neckdowns and narrows, especially if they contain shoreline structure.

Work it slowly and thoroughly.

For lakers at that time of year I personally like to concentrate my efforts on mid lake shoals and humps.

The park has depth maps of most of the larger more popular lakes and they seem to be pretty accurate. They're absolutely worth their weight in gold.

If I'm not doing a huge amount of portaging I always bring in a tiny portable fishfinder to help in locating the mid lake structure.

If you have a blue bird day and the fish are a bit deeper you can run your lighter spoons or stickbaits off a 3-way (Wolf River) rig, with a 3/4-11/2oz bell sinker on the dropper.

Have a fantastic trip bud and good luck!

Not sure yet. We will be deciding our location on the fishing conditions. I would ideally like a campsite that I can shore fish from. And with good access to lakes known for good fishing. Does anyone know any or had a good experience at there trip?

We ended up at Burnt Island last year if that rings a bell for anyone. Even Sunbeam Lake...

Probably the south central of the park we will be heading.

Generally the farther you get from an access point the better the fishing is.

There will be a FULL REPORT when i return.....thanks for all the tips and keep em coming!

Im planning on bombing the areas where the cold wwater meets the warm, steep drop offs. strutures like logs and rocks, and ill play it by eye and ear. I might be a noob but i do ok in that section. I have a bunch of lures like white and chartruese twister tails with heavy coloured jigheads. Ive got xraps, shads, reefrunners, and huskyjerks. I am firm believer in perch coloured baits. I have some bright yo zuris. I use 20 lb powerline and 8lb mono. Shimano Stimula rods. Browning and shimano reels. Ill prolly pik one setup and bring 2 spools of line. Ive got a bunch of lil spinners and spoons plus these real cool lil tad fry lures, like a yellow wobbler crankbait worm, tadpole fry crankbait and baby bass crankbait. I think ill do ok...my fear has always been how to get my lures DEEP enough...especially with lighter and small lures. I have no experience with those bells or down rigging or anything... I can rig something up. Part of the reason i bought some deep husky jerks. THANKS FOR ALL HELP...KEEP EM COMING. taking notes... :thumbsup_anim:

ps. are the flies that bad?? :stretcher:

I think ill do ok...my fear has always been how to get my lures DEEP enough...especially with lighter and small lures. I have no experience with those bells or down rigging or anything... I can rig something up. Part of the reason i bought some deep husky jerks. THANKS FOR ALL HELP...KEEP EM COMING. taking notes... :thumbsup_anim:

ps. are the flies that bad?? :stretcher:

When I mentioned bell sinkers in reference to the Wolf River rig here's a couple of sketches of the rig:

wolfriverrig.jpg

Nothing could be simpler and you can rig up this way with whatever tackle you've got.

Obviously this is a rig designed primarily for trolling when using it in lakes.

I'd recommend some kind of braid (I like 20lb Power Pro) as your main line on your reel.

On average about 6' of 8lb mono to whatever lure you're using, and on the dropper the bell sinker is tied to 1-3' of slightly lighter mono. That way if your sinker snags that's all you lose...

(And yes the blackflies can be bad. Bring a headnet! :) )

great tips!

How can I get a spinner to go deep by casting? let it sink then reel? becuase i wont necessary be trolling all the time. is true that if u you try to put a lure deep it doesnt perform or act the same because of the water pressure? such as a crank bait or shad? this is where my inexperience kicks in LOL. really need to go with a pro sometime

im knowledge hungry beginner...

Edited by Pachone

great tips!

How can I get a spinner to go deep by casting? let it sink then reel? becuase i wont necessary be trolling all the time. is true that if u you try to put a lure deep it doesnt perform or act the same because of the water pressure? such as a crank bait or shad? this is where my inexperience kicks in LOL. really need to go with a pro sometime

im knowledge hungry beginner...

A spinner? Cast it out, let it sink, and reel it back in. There's not too much more you can do. The French or Colorado style of blades will turn a lot easier than the longer thinner willoweleaf style. Mepps Aglia long and Rooster Tail are examples of the latter...

Make sure to tip your spinner with half a nightcrawler, it makes a huge difference...

All lures will perform exactly the same regardless of the depth. The only variable being if mono is used in deep water it tends to stretch a lot and you don't get the same sense of feel or instant response that braid offers.

A spinner? Cast it out, let it sink, and reel it back in. There's not too much more you can do. The French or Colorado style of blades will turn a lot easier than the longer thinner willoweleaf style. Mepps Aglia long and Rooster Tail are examples of the latter...

Make sure to tip your spinner with half a nightcrawler, it makes a huge difference...

All lures will perform exactly the same regardless of the depth. The only variable being if mono is used in deep water it tends to stretch a lot and you don't get the same sense of feel or instant response that braid offers.

Thats what i thought... i appreciate all the help. Its going to make for a beauty report.

I plan on eating some of these fish...and dont want to go back to site after I catch just one. Probably 2 or 3 ...is there a way i can keep several fish fresh before i cook? without having em sit in the bottom of my canoe as i wait to catch another... i dont want to torture em fellas. Plus the flies...ring em through the gills with a chain or rope?

Edited by Pachone

...is there a way i can keep several fish fresh before i cook? without having em sit in the bottom of my canoe as i wait to catch another... i dont want to torture em fellas. Plus the flies...

Well that's simple, use a stringer.

(Or as I like to call it, my "Cronzy" :D . I call my net and fillet knife Cronzy as well.

As in "Hurry up and pass me the Cronzy I've got a nice one on here!, we need a couple more to Cronzy up for shore lunch!!" :D

First couple of weeks after ice-out are usually slow here because the fish are still scattered all through the water column. End of May you may find surface temps in the 60s but 3 feet down is a whole lot colder than that. We catch lakers in the top 10 feet well into June most years and one of my best producers is a rainbow trout coloured rapala. Our latitude isn't much different from Algonquin. Tie some fabric softener sheets on your belt loops to keep the flies away.