ALGONQUIN PARK FISHING

Pachone

Ever heard of a creel or just a small cooler with some ice, not a real fan of stringers as fish that have been kept a few feet below the surface on a sunny day tend to get mushie from sitting in the warm water but they have been used for ever , I like to kill and clean small trout ,( take the head , gills and guts ), and chill right away even if its just in my wicker creel with some cool damp grass in it and something over it to keep out of the sun , but a stringer will work fine for a few hours , just try to keep it on the shady side of the boat .

Ever heard of a creel or just a small cooler with some ice, not a real fan of stringers as fish that have been kept a few feet below the surface on a sunny day tend to get mushie from sitting in the warm water but they have been used for ever , I like to kill and clean small trout ,( take the head , gills and guts ), and chill right away even if its just in my wicker creel with some cool damp grass in it and something over it to keep out of the sun , but a stringer will work fine for a few hours , just try to keep it on the shady side of the boat .

Of course you're 100% right.

Except when you're on a canoe trip and carrying everything on your back.

Then the stringer is your best option.

No problem here with fish getting mushy from warm sunny water.

It's Algonquin Park in May...

You have lots of good advicde here. The only thing I may add is to reconsider the South Central Access off of 60 I am assuming. You would be much better served to hit one of the access points off of 17 between North Bay and Mattawa.

Also you would be well served to take an extra day and penetrate the park a little further then 4 to 6 hours of paddling.

My two cents...

Perch pattern origional floating rapala, and take a few of them.

If your casting structure your bound to loose one or two, seriously....

I've had tremendous success over the years on those lures in the Park.

I'd also recomend a blue and silver rattle N rap, or Shad rap.

They are Easy to use and very successful in the park for both Specks and Lakers.

And if I might be so bold as to suggest you eat dinner at 4:30pm....your gonna want to be on the water at Twilight.

Find granite drops....very steep drops, shoals, and shoreline structure with adjacent deeper water

When that light starts to fade...cast and cast and cast.

When the day is slow, the twilight hour always seems to come on strong...but its only about an hour so be out there!

Good luck.

Your timing should be fine. The last 2 years we have had some of our best shallow-water laker fishing in late may on the southern edge of the Algonquin highland.

Be prepared to get skunked, even with great advice and good presentation. Trout fishing in that area can be incredibly fickle. There have been times that I have had a great couple of hours on a lake - 10 fish/hour - then it's like someone throws a switch and turns the fish off. The next few hours you can throw anything you want and your just exercising your arm.

Two presentations I haven't seen that work well:

-fly/spoon combination: great for trolling, but tough to cast

-Rocket Shad: the tiny, but heavy spinnerbait that Strike king makes. It's way better in structure than an inline, and both lakers and specks will hit them.