Fishing for channel cats

smbhunter

I'm planning to go fishing on friday and would like to try for channel cats. I would like to know where I could go and what I should use. I have a muskie rod I could use, or a rod that I pier cast and carp fish with, but I am unsure of rigging techniques. I will be shore fishing. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

you will need a fairly heavy sinker and a big stinky bait.

Chicken liver works, shrimp works as well, handfull of worms on a hook works as well.

Just chase them at the bottom and they should be running now.

Good luck!

A heavy sinker is only needed if you have current to deal with, and rigging has a lot to do with the area you decide to fish. For just about any type of cat fishing keeping you bait near the bottom is going to improve your luck, they are primarily bottom feeders.

More or less traditional rig is a egg style sinker with a swivel below it and a leader with a hook tied to it, 12 to 18 inches long. The weight can vary depending on current to keep it on the bottom, leader allows some movement and a free spool reel with a clicker can be useful. Clinker and free spool on lets you know when they are taking line if your not alert. They can be big and powerful, secure your rod or you may have to swim to find it.

Slip bobber and live bait is another way, works best if the bottom in the area is pretty much the same depth, set the float to run with in 2 feet of the bottom. Although I am not usually fishing for cats when using this method a 6 to 8 in chub works well. 3/0 or 4/0 heavy hook like a Mustad 3407 hooked under the dorsal fin of the chub with care taken not to hit the spine. Trend now is towards octopus hooks but never had injury to the fish issues with the mustads. Big chub can swim around pretty well, I usually use a 1/4 ounce weight about 18 inches above it to keep it down. Just gives you other options, species other than cats will take the chub.

Always made most of my own slip floats out of smooth surface styrofoam eggs, up to about goose egg in size, a big chub can bob it but not keep it under, cat or other decent size fish can.

The cat fishing on the lower grand has been amazing as of late. I find they are a really fun fish to target while waiting for walleye to open.

Sorry I missed you when you were out this way. Did you manage to catch anything?

Cheers,

Jen

Edited by Jen

The cat fishing on the lower grand has been amazing as of late. I find they are a really fun fish to target while waiting for walleye to open.

Sorry I missed you when you were out this way. Did you manage to catch anything?

Cheers,

Jen

You don't know how to Fish Jen LOL...

Thanks for the Plug Gerritt....it was nice meeting you today msbhunter hope you enjoyed your day Cat fishing ...as for Carp and if you wana catch huge Carp you might want to try the Lower Grand River Dunnville its full of Lunker Carp ...another week or so you will see them all up dropping their eggs close to shore ..report of a guy fishing the other day landed 20 Carp from 12 to 30lbs while fishing Cats with Worms ..once he switched to the Cat bait it was none stop Cats ..

Edited by Fishmaster