Steelhead Question: Different fish fighting techniques?

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi everyone, again

I have been told to fight steelhead differently based on the reel I use.

Spinning Reel:

1. Keep the rod up (little to enough tension to keep line tight)

2. Let the fish get tired by the drag (no need to force them)

Centerpin Reel:

1. MUST Keep the rod up (as much tension as possible to pull it up)

2. Let the rod flex to tire the fish

3. Pull the fish sideway and towards the shore as soon as possible.

based on my observations, fightings with centerpin take way less time

and control fish more (which resulted in line breakage) whereas spinnings

take way more time and kinda let fish go up and down in the pool

Do you guys agree? and perhaps explanations as to the difference I have noticed?

Thanks!

THERES NO DIFFERENCE IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

ROD CONTROL IS THE SAME FOR BOTH!!

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE REALLY BETWEEN A SPINNING REEL AND A PIN WHILE FIGHTING A FISH IS THAT YOU ARE THE DRAG SYSTEM.

ALWAYS TRY TO LAND YOUR FISH AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!!! WHILE FIGHTING A FISH THERES AN ACID THAT BUILDS UP IN THEM(SORRY FORGOT THE NAME OF IT) AND IT CAN REALLY HARM THE FISH. QUICKER THE LANDING THE LESS ACID BUILD UP.

It took me a little practice, but I can get a steelhead in pretty quickly on my spinning gear. I think the rod plays a bigger part....and how you play the fish. I will sometimes leave the drag looser than needed and thumb the spool if I feel the fish starting to get further away than I want it too. Confidence in leader material affects how I fight a fish....obviously different depending on whether I'm using 4lbs test for clear waters or 6lb test for cloudy waters/night fishing.

I admit though, I have never used a centerpin

If you are using light leaders be prepared to break a few off during your learning curve. Its takes practice to find the limits of your equipment while trying to minimize fight time on a fish. Like anything you learn what you can and cant get away with. On the bright side youre hooking and fighting fish during this process..

Pretty much agree with what's been said.

Would like to add though that many, many steelheaders, even seasoned veterans take way too long to land fish because they baby them too much.

The beauty of the pin vs. the spinning reel is you can lock your spool down with your fingers or palm and exert huge pressure on the fish. You'll get a sense for when the fish is going to run, when it does you can ease off a bit.

Admitedly you can achieve the same thing with a spinning reel by clamping down on the reel spool, but it's not as easy.

Way too many guys set the hook and basically let the fish run around willy nilly 'till their exhausted.

Don't be afraid to exert more pressure!

Also, keeping the rod tip high and allowing the long soft rod to do its job is generally a good thing. If you want to put fish on the bank quicker though you must utilize side pressure.

Hold the rod parralel to the ground, clamp down on the spool and either pull back or take a couple steps backward.

By doing this you will be able to easily turn the fishes head and lead him where you want him to go.

Much harder to do with your rod high overhead...

Edited by solopaddler

Never used a center pin just bass tackle, casting and spinning, light line to me is 8 # test, I tend to push fish hard drag is set below the breaking point of the line and I don`t fool with the drag settings. I play with fish in the livewell. Long rod has advantages, for me 3 foot or so reach 7 foot rod=10 feet of shock absorber.

Lactic acid build up is what makes your muscles tired, same deal for fish.

just wanna add my 2 cents worth:

I think you gain more control and landing the fish quicker if you play it out in sorta like a 45 degree angle (or less) pointing your rod upstream, so that the fish is not only fighting the pressure of your rod but also the current.

I find the pin alot easier to fight fish with..I feel more connected and ready to react when a fish is about to take a run. Usually with the first few fish on the day im conservative with my fight, just hoping to land a few and then after that I tend to put the boots to em and test the equiptment more. I find that a 6 lb lead CAN snap a hook if you arent careful...

If you want to put fish on the bank quicker though you must utilize side pressure.

Hold the rod parralel to the ground, clamp down on the spool and either pull back or take a couple steps backward.

By doing this you will be able to easily turn the fishes head and lead him where you want him to go.

Much harder to do with your rod high overhead...

Agreed. Its amazing how somtimes you can just pull fish in doing the above, even in heavier currents.

No better drag system than the human hand and the centerpin allows you to make the required adjustments...fast. When fighting fish my rod usually flaps around like a birds flapping its wings to adjust to the fishes movements. Cant remember the last time I had to 'revive' a fish, usually gone in seconds after I put them back in the water.