NF - All season tires - need some advice

jat

I have an older car and was needing replacement of my all slipperies...I really wanted snow tires but with the car being as old as it is didn't want to invest in eight tires and four winter rims. I was checking around and found an All Weather tire. Nokian's. Basically they are a snow rated all season tire. I had them on all winter and with all the snow we got they were awesome. A little pricey but you also don't have to switch them up and they have 100,00 km rating.

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/winter_passenger.aspx

When I worked at Uniroyal, we made tires for CTC. The specs for Canadian Tire were higher than for our own brand OE as well as aftermarket. I just wouldn't trust their wrench jockies with installing them. You'll save $$$ and get a top product. If you are looking for high performance I'd go Japanese for sure.

After 12 "performance" Goodyears in a row quickly going out of round, the company told their store to install 4 of their swankiest new passenger tires as a "fix." So unbelievably squishy, I nearly lost the car taking an on-ramp at much less than the posted speed. That was enough of their brilliance...time to switch.

Got a recommendation for a new tire shop, who set me up with summer rubber that made me extremely happy. Yokohama AVS ES100s - really stiff, great in corners, nice dry grip, and excellent plowing through standing water at speed. They do tend to pick up the odd chunk of gravel on the way to the marina, but I don't mind keeping an eye on that. They make my car a real pleasure to drive, and I'm thrilled.

I have a new 4X4 Toyota Tundra and the OEM tires were crappy highway tires. I did a lot of research because I wanted something that would be good in the snow and mud when I go deer hunting BUT I didn't want to hear tire noise all summer long as this is also my daily driver and tow machine. What I found were Bridgestone "REVO'S". This is one GREAT tire as it is super in the mud and snow but ride smooth and QUIT on the road. Highly recommend this tires. Take a look here at them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...eler+A%2FT+Revo

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

my 2 cents is forget no-season tires and buy a set of snow tires and a set of summer only tires .

I agree 100% Raf, 4 good dedicated winter tires is the way to go, even if your vehicle is only 2 wheel drive.

Nothing worse that being stuck on a snow covered road behind someone who thinks all season tires actually means ALL seasons.

The problem now with having winter and summer tires is the vehicles now being built have air pressure sensors in the valve stems. These sensors will cost as much or even more than the winter tires and rims you will need. I know my Tundra's sensors cost $125 EACH so this makes it way too expensive for me to have separate winter tires/rims. Without the sensors the TPS light will remain lit on your dash driving you crazy all winter long :(

If I want them to be remounted tires each year on my OEM rims that cost at least $50 each time so that's a $100 every year. I can't see spending that much money on mounting and balancing every year.

Dont know if I would value my life in the hundreds of dollars Billy . Cant see where I pay 20-30 k (or more) for a car/truck and than say its to costly to make it as safe as I can to drive ??? Sorry but I think you should get the best tires available , and have a set for winter and summer no matter WHAT THE COST

its for a civic 14 inch rim, I already have winter tires............

perfect. kumho is one brand that sells inexpensive summer tires that are pretty good which i've had good luck with. you probably don't need a v or z rated tire, but if you choose to go that route keep in mind they are a softer compound.. while offering great handling characteristics, they can wear quicker than harder compounds.

get yourself a cheap 2nd set of steelies and stick your snow tires on them.

Edited by Raf

Without the sensors the TPS light will remain lit on your dash driving you crazy all winter long :(

Electrical tape over the idiot light does wonders. Or just yank the bulb.

I can't believe people need a sensor to tell them the air presure is low.

Edited by Raf

Dont know if I would value my life in the hundreds of dollars Billy . Cant see where I pay 20-30 k (or more) for a car/truck and than say its to costly to make it as safe as I can to drive ??? Sorry but I think you should get the best tires available , and have a set for winter and summer no matter WHAT THE COST

Well I know I have accomplished that with my choice of Bridgestone REVO tires. Did you take a look at them ? ? ? They run VERY well in the snow and mud and being in the Buffalo area we get more snow then almost everyone.

As far as the safety issue I don't think there is a better truck then the Toyota Tundra and everything is STANDARD, VSC (vehicle stability control) TRAC (traction control) ABS (all for anti lock brakes) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist. LSD (limited slip differential), front driver and passenger air bags and side curtains, PLUS SRC (side roll over curtain).

This truck does everything but pour my coffee for me :clapping:

Does your vehilce match up to these safety features as long as you brought it up ? ? ? :thumbsup_anim:

Well I know I have accomplished that with my choice of Bridgestone REVO tires. Did you take a look at them ? ? ? They run VERY well in the snow and mud and being in the Buffalo area we get more snow then almost everyone.

As far as the safety issue I don't think there is a better truck then the Toyota Tundra and everything is STANDARD, VSC (vehicle stability control) TRAC (traction control) ABS (all for anti lock brakes) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist. LSD (limited slip differential), front driver and passenger air bags and side curtains, PLUS SRC (side roll over curtain).

This truck does everything but pour my coffee for me :clapping:

Does your vehilce match up to these safety features as long as you brought it up ? ? ? :thumbsup_anim:

the revos are an excellent choice for year round suv/light truck use. possibly the best tires on the market and the price tag reflects that. we are discussing 14" civic bicycle tires here though!

With Quebec making winter tires mandatory I got nervous about it happening here. I have no argument that winter tires are great and make a huge difference, but having them gives some idiots even more confidence to do stupid things.... just like some folks who own AWD assuming just because you can faster means you can stop faster.

What really worries me though is what is going to happen in 3 to five years in Quebec when there hundreds of thousand of tires that have no wear on them for either season so they look fine but the compounds have deteriorated and therefore the tires are no longer safe. This degradation happens to any radial tire as it ages reguardless of how it is stored, and lets face it most folks aren't going to store them in anything resembling ideal conditions. Moist air, temperature changes in the storage enviorment accelerates the damage, any contact with petroleum based liquids causes even more damage the list goes on.

If you drive the national average of 18000 to even 24000KM per year you probably aren't going to wear the tire tread out on a 100K tire before it becomes unsafe due to changes in the chemistry of the tire itself, on one set of tires let alone two.... So making people have two sets could wind up causing more accidents than it prevents in the long run.

Being that it is expensive to own two sets in the first place I bet most low income earners won't rush out to replace tires that look ok. If there starts to be a rash of accidents in a few years due to unexplained tire failures in QC this might be why, but I am sure they will pass a new law to cover that.

Edited by Canuck2fan

the revos are an excellent choice for year round suv/light truck use. possibly the best tires on the market and the price tag reflects that. we are discussing 14" civic bicycle tires here though!

OH, my BAD ! ! ! I didn't see that part. Please continue on while I sit this one out as I am not qualified to comment on a Honda Civic tire problem. :wallbash: