baitcast reel spool pins/tabs

goteeboy

i need a refresher on how these brake pins work.

my curado and metanium have six pins and my three abus have two pins

and they both have the plastic pieces (for lack of a better word) that slid up and down on the pin unless locked in.

i think there are four configurations for the six pin shimano. for the abus all but #3 would be options.

1. all pins unlocked

2. all pins locked

3. every other pin locked

4. remove all pins (not sure this is a viable option)

So...

1. what do those pins do? (and what relation to the brake on the handle side of the reel to tighten and loosen before you cast?

2. what does each scenario above does

3. And then i was wondering why are those pins even needed

as the criminal in the beginning of dirty harry said...."i gotsta know"

thanks in advance

The knob on the handle side adjusts side play, side to side motion puts tension on the spool shaft to adjust it, older Abu`s had two.The one opposite was the cast control, both needed to be set properly for best effect. Also little brake things, not sure of the name but most came with 3 sets of two, two were need, centrifugal brakes. On the old abus you have to take the side cover and possible the spool out to change them.(60`s and 70`s models)

Haven`t used a Curado much, a few casts off and on with a buddies to try out(older model, Green). seems I heard mention of 3 for a setting on them but don`t know about it for sure. Or what the 3 meant.

All my shimano reels are also older models.

try different patterns ... right now i think i have 2 popped up and in use ... i have the 2 across from eachother to put even drag on the spool .. The side screw adds or removes spool tension ... hold your lure up then loosen it so taht the lure falls to the ground but you dont get a hig birds nest. if its too loose you could be untangling line all day. and too tight you wont cast very far .

Depends on how big a lure your throwing and what kind of rod your throwing it on. You'll need to adjust the brakes on the inside based on the situation. On my Shimano baitcasters I usually fish with 2 or 3 brakes turned on, and the other 3-4 off, but if your throwing a big bait you might need 4 brakes turned on...or if your throwing a very light bait you might want to go down to one brake turned on...Its all relative to what your doing.

The way I understand it is that the pins/brakes on the inside are to control how fast the line comes off at the beginning of the cast... the cast nob or whatever you call it on the outside is more to control the line coming off at the end of the cast.

So if your birdsnesting at the beginning of the cast...adjust the inside brakes, if its happening at the end of your cast, adjust the cast nob.

I should print this off for my dad....he's been using baitcasters for 20 years and cant go 10 minutes without a birdsnest lol

-Ben