NF Would you Commute 134 Kms a day

holdfast

OK - maybe $375 is a little low for $150k in mortgage but the math still fundamentally works and honestly, running two cars 3-4k per month is definately gonna run you more than $375 anyway.

At the same time, for Holdfast, Ithe commute is probably not so bad. I imagine its probably 30-45 minutes everyday and I assume at a nice cruise and no 15 lane 401 style traffic jams to slow one down.

Also, if Holdfast can get out of his house in a red hot market and buy into something a little less hot, now is probably the time for that as well. The bubble afterall has already burst in the US and its on its way here.

I sold my house in To for about the same reason . Bought a bigger house for half the price 1 hour away . The one hour turned into 1 and a half most days and 2-3 hours in the winter . Had 5 Fender benders in the year and a half I tried to do this , the drive just wore me out the STRESS was HUGE ,road rage was killing me , moved back (paid now even more than triple what the country house cost ) now the 15 minute street car ride is all I have to deal with at the end of my work day,I get home happy and ready to take my grand daughter for a walk along the boardwalk , play in the park etc. etc. not just a quick good night kiss and poppie will try to take you to the park on the weekend if we get time . TIME means alot to me now and I will not be wasteing any sitting in traffic wishing I was home . I will never think about commuteing again . Something wrong when at the end of the month I would have spent more time driveing in my car than being with my wife and kids . More to life than saveing some money

Thanks for such a great example. You have bolstered my belief about never commuting. I pay much more in terms of housing prices, property taxes, and so forth but I also enjoy above-average salaries living in Toronto. Balancing work-life (not to mention the costs of fuel and fender benders) is a huge factor in making these decisions. Sometimes I hear about house prices outside of Toronto, and they do sound like a bargain. I'll re-read your post everytime I feel a bit jealous of commuters. ;)

Being very familiar with North Battleford and surrounding area I would say go for it. Driving highway 4 for that distance would be nothing in the winter as traffic would be light. In the summer, with the holiday crowd, it can get a bit busy but nothing compared to those doing a big city commute. The area you are moving too has awesome whitetail deer hunting if you are into that (have hunted there lots) and has an abundance of lakes to choose from to fish after work as you are aware. On the real estate side in NB, I think the market there will get even better in the next few years as they are now flying workers out of the airport there to Fort McMurray. Also, there is a lot of oil in Saskatchewan. Ask those in the know and they will tell you that the heavy oil deposits in Saskatchewan rival or exceed those found in Alberta just that it is more expensive to get it out of the ground due to the shield and rock. You would probably know more than this than I, but rumours floating around last year there stated that Syncrude or Suncor was buying up a lot of property north of NB around Meota, Edam etc. I know the value of our cabin on Murray Lake north of NB sure has gone up in the past few years. My dad bought our lot with small cabin on it for $500 back in 1952. Over the years he probably put $30000 into the cabin, new garage, boathouse/bunkhouse etc and now if we were to sell it, we would easily get $450000 for it as we have a double lot in a prime location right on the water.