2 Questions

Stoty

Hey guys,

I have 2 really simple questions......

1) What advantages does a centerpin reel have over a high-end spinning reel?

2) I see everyone is on this Flourocarbon kick....how do you go about making the Flourocarbon leader? Do you attach the fluoro right to your main line? Or use a swivel? Whats this about steel clamps?

Cheers,

*Stoty

2) I see everyone is on this Flourocarbon kick....how do you go about making the Flourocarbon leader? Do you attach the fluoro right to your main line? Or use a swivel? Whats this about steel clamps?

I attach the leader to the mainline with a swivel, but Ive never heard about steel clamps sorry.

Thanks Cliff.

Do you use Floro for the steelhead you have been catching?

Is Floro really THAT good?

When fishing for steelhead in small enviroments, like creeks, they can be really line shy. Clear waters are your enemy! Floro is used because the same pound test is much thinner than it's mono equivalent, making it harder for the fish to see. In clear waters, I'll use a 4 pound leader....at night or stained waters, I'll go with 6 pound.

That being said, all floros are not created equally. I used Vanish last year and had a lot of break offs, but didn't have anything to base an opinion. I changed to Drennan this year and I LOVE it. Bly uses both Drennan and Raven and has been happy with them.

....I believe what you're refering to is steel crimping sleeves and yes they are for forming the loop on heavy floro or wire leaders. As for floro, never really got on the band wagon. I'm also a big believer in minimal hardware so all my leaders are attached via triple surgeons knot.

Center pin reel advantage is a direct taught line to your bait (float) and a smooth revolving spool that rotates with minimal effort thus allowing a better drag free presentation. Mind you this can also be achieved with a quality level wind reel.

med_gallery_9_87_34851.jpg

Stoty floro will get you more bites in clear water, the best knot to use is a uni knot, they are easy to tie and very strong, for any one who wants to learn knots and how to tie them check out this site (Animated Knots by Grog) sorry I dont know how to post links

Floro is used because the same pound test is much thinner than it's mono equivalent, making it harder for the fish to see.

i believe that flourocarbon offers such an advantage because it has the almost the same refractive index as water: that is, it refracts light almost the same way. this can be crucial in smaller streams and creeks, and even in big water like the niagara river when it runs gin clear in the winter time.

tight lines,

darcy

looks like the leader and swivel question has been answered quite well in my eyes......As for a Centrepin....If you are going to get seriously into float fishing than spend the money...

Here's a few reasons why

- a pin is like night and day for float and line control over a spinning reel

- fighting a fish is totally in your hands. No need to rely on your drag and setting it throughout the fight....you are the drag !!...you will get a third the break off's considering the fact that when a fish takes a run you can keep minimum pressure on the fish...I can go on all day about the many PROS a pin brings in fighting a fish, but they won't justify until you experience it yourself..

- the few times I tried trotting with a spinning reel, I found it next to impossible to keep uniform resistance on the float. A pin pretty much does it on its own, which keep your full attention on your float ,not like on the spinning reel where your constantly looking at your spool and peeling line off to keep it at a steady pace

-float reels look cooler, LOL !!! won't be long before someone jumps on this one...