Has Anyone Stayed Here

yellowboat

We are planning a 2 week fishing/holiday trip to Northwestern Ontario and Eagle Lake Island Lodge landed at the top of the list for one week and the second week we wanted to camp. Has anyone been to this lodge before, and if so can you provide some feedback. As well has anyone been to Onaman River Resort we were looking at camping there for a week? What time of year would be the best to head up to this area for fishing?

I saw a fishing show for the eagle lake Island lodge wiith Italo on it. The lodge is on the eastern side of the lake and I fish the west arm of eagle lake, so I can't say much about the fishing there. however, on the fishing show it showed them running up some rivers to catch bass and walleye. I know guys who fish the eastern side of eagle in the fall for really big muskies.

we fish the long weekend in may, have done that for the past 15 years and the walleye fishing is extremely slow at that time. So if you are planning to go after that I would think your chances for good fishing would be better. I would also suggest getting a guide for at least a couple of days, Eagle is a big lake and not marked for reefs. you gotta be careful, and bring a gps so you can track your routes.

good luck and enjoy our little piece of heaven here in Northwestern Ontario.

If your going to go that far I would suggest looking up lodges on Lac Seul.

Fished there quite a bit and it's hot for trophy walleyes.

Camping is available on one of a thousand islands (sandy beaches)

Both Eagle and lac Seul have slot sizes so there somewhat equal there.

I would want a good sized boat on either of these lakes.

Bushart

I haven't fished Lac Seul before athough it was on my to do list last year. Maybe this year I can get a day to go down to it. There are many lodges on Eagle Lake and a variety of pricing to go with them. I would suggest you google "sunset country and that should bring up a pile of web pages for camps on that lake.

As for Lac Seul, it too has a pile of camps, some are out of the Sioux Lookout area others are on the West end of the lake by Ear Falls. I have a 16 foot lund skiff that I was going to take to use on this lake but the guys I talked to that live in Ear Fallls seem to think that might be too small for the big water of Lac Seul.

On the west arm of eaglelake where I fish we go in 14 foot boats with 15 hp motors and get aroung just fine. I don't know about the east side of eagle and the weather conditions you might encounter.

Just as a quick thought, the trout I'm holding in my avatar was caught on Eagle Lake while fishing for walleye in 14 feet of water on the long weekend in May last year. It was about 9 pounds and was the smallest trout I got that weekend.

Edited by grt1

I've fished Eagle as well and you would'nt want to be in a 14 ft'r in the stretch as it's called when the wind pipes in--Osborne Bay in the east can also howl---good angling for sure---but locals will always default to Lac seul for consistent trophys.

Bushart