How do you launch your boat?

danbouck

lots of great advice only thing I could add is you will be tempted to leave the bunks (assuming bunk trailer) to far into the water .That was my mistake with the old boat ,someone suggested I only leave the last foor or so in the water ( after wetting ) and now we can almost always drive right on.Also help is ramp is level left to right .

We launch on a backwood river from a non maintained ramp ,trailer always unlevel and it takes sometimes 4-5 tries to get it on the trailer straight.

Good luck

TB

I just remembered something else I have been told.

When you arrive at the ramp let the trailer sit for a period to let the bearings and hub cool down some. With heat comes expansion, the hub hits the cold water, shrinks and water can enter into the bearings.

:dunno: Don't know if it helps or not but sounds logical. Usually you have to wait for a few minutes at the ramp anyway or have to load up and that in itself may allow enough time to cool down.

I too am a new boat owner this year. And am scared poopless about looking like a tool come launch time.

I figure I will do lots of practice launches and retrieves at a quiet time down on the river (I have a friend with a ramp). I am glad that I have read these posts though. Not only for the lessons of how not to do things, but also the fact that if I screw up I certainly won’t be the first.

I am sure you will do fine a little practice is all it takes, I only trailer about 6-7 times a year and the first couple of times backing the boat up was a bit of a challenge now it`s no problem. The biggest problem I have at the launch is waiting for the guys who have bad equipment you know the ones they have a non matching trailer either to big or to small or some homemade p.o.s contraption.

Just remember don`t let the boat launch bullies intimidate you I doubt they got it perfect their first time.

For your drain plug, get a shower curtain hook and snap it on

your Transom cleat when you fasten down your boat with

the tie downs fasten the curtain hook to the cleat.

When you remove your tie downs the next time you will

see it in your way, install drain plug then.

Dave

I just remembered something else I have been told.

When you arrive at the ramp let the trailer sit for a period to let the bearings and hub cool down some. With heat comes expansion, the hub hits the cold water, shrinks and water can enter into the bearings.

:dunno: Don't know if it helps or not but sounds logical. Usually you have to wait for a few minutes at the ramp anyway or have to load up and that in itself may allow enough time to cool down.

You got my vote. I usually check them at the coffee stop too, quick touch to see if they're running cool/cold.

great reading all these helpful hints on load\unloads at the launch.i've only had my tinny for a couple of years so i'm still working on a flawless performance in front of the dock judges. it's the little tricks that save a lot of time and fumbling at a busy launch. i've waited behind a couple of botched attempts at the launch felt bad for the guys ,,but come on ,, get out of the freakin' way .

- a couple of hints i just picked up today might have taken me an entire summer to figure out .

- good idea posting these hints here ,, 'could've been me in front of you at the launch. welldone . lol.

Edited by waterwolf

This might not be an original idea, but I store the drain plug inside the boat in one of the transom drain holes...It's handy, and sort of a visual reminder.

My launch routine has 6 steps.

1 - Unplug Trailer lights.

2 - Unhook Winch strap.

3 - Unhook port-side tie-down strap.

4 - Install drain Plug.

5 - Unhook Starboard tie down strap.

6 - Remove transom saver.

The transom saver goes into the box and the launch rope comes out...

As I wrote before I use a longer rope than most people. About 50 feet...

Launch0012.jpg

A little longer rope helps me when I launch into backwater lakes where there's no dock etc.

The extra length allows me to move the trailer forward without beaching the boat.

Before I back into the water I mentally recount my six steps, as a double check.

Launch0022.jpg

Every trailer I have owned has been a little different. This Ranger trailer wants to be fairly deep to be able to drive right on.

Launch0052.jpg

I use the front tips of the bunks as a depth gauge. If they are just out of the water I'm at the right depth.

When I drive on the keel will center the boat in the bunks. The boat will stop about a foot short of the orange winch roller.

With the motor trimmed up, I goose the throttle, raising the bow, the boat slides ahead and snugs up against the roller.

Kill the motor, raise it a little higher just to be sure the skeg doesn't hit the ramp, walk off the bow onto the trailer tongue.

Reattach the winch hook, then walk up the box of the truck and hop out on dry land.

Now I clear the ramp and drive to the prep area where I go through my six steps again.

By knowing I have six things to do and mentally rechecking them before driving off, I don't forget to plug in the trailer lights etc.

Launch0033.jpg

This pound and a half Bass was all we caught today.

First thing I do is unplug trailer lights, remove tie down straps and insert drain plug. Boat is than backed down to water with mooring ropes and bumpers attached. Once the trailer tires hit the water I remove the safety chain and winch strap. I can't recall the number of times I have seen people remove these before the boat is ready to enter the water and the boat lands on the ramp, especially if you have a roller trailer. I have the choice to either drive my boat on the trailer or winch up for departure. Make sure to attach safety chain to bow eye and verify that engine has been lifted. You do not want to hear the horrific sound of your engine being dragged up the ramp.

Just remember when backing your trailer in that the way you turn your steering wheel will turn the boat trailer in the opposite direction. Hope this helps.

Tom