how do you service trolling motor?

FISHINGNUT

I have a 24 volt minkota bow mount on my boat .Its around 6-7 years old.Last year I replaced the foot pedal it wasnt working .I noticed last year that it doesnt steer as fast as at used too.Steering to the right is faster than to the left.Nothing is catching or pinching the shaft so I dont get it .Is there brushes or something I can replace or some type of service that can be done to it .

Thanks Jamie

Edited by FISHINGNUT

Sometimes the foot peddle is the culprit. Just unscrew the top of the peddle cover and apply faucet grease on the moving parts. When my older unit would turn one way and not the other, this is what I did and it fixed it just light new.You can also grease the shaft in certain spots and that also helps.

Thank you for the replies guys.I wanted to make sure if I had to take it in to get serviced that I got it in early before the rush.I guess I could buy a new one this one has done me very well over the years .I am still hoping for a new boat that comes with a trolling motor but the wife wants a new car so I have to wait another year :glare:

The Power drive foot pedals are notorious for failing like this. I love Minn Kota motors, but will never buy this particular type again. They have small micro switches in the foot pedal that arc and burn out. The resistance through the switches causes the slow turning of the servo motors. The cable drive is the only way to go in my opinion. I would never switch back now. I once thought they would be a pain, but in fact they are a dream!

For service, try Rockey's in Orillia or Aikman's in Mississauga. they are both good shops.

Edited by Rattletrap2