Fishing maps

Radnine

Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get the lowdown from you guys on fishing maps (I know that we have talked about them from time to time, but I have not gotten a solid feeling yet).

I have got to say that I am having a hell of a time finding good maps on-line. By that I mean good free maps. And I am not talking fishing maps necessarily, but even in looking for a cottage. On a big lake like Sturgeon for instance, a cottage could be close to Bobcaygeon, close to Lindsay or close to Fenelon Falls. Anyway I digress, here are my questions:

1. Are fishing maps worth a pinch to start with?

2. Are the ones that just show the depth better than the ones that have fish types, local attractions, where to get a great steak etc. on them?

3. Is there anywhere that I can look at a map before I buy it (in other words, not on-line)?

4. Does anyone have any experience with any of the companies listed below?

• www.adventurefishingmaps.on.ca

• www.fishingmapsplus.com

• www.trakmaps.com

Thanks, as always.

Jim

Maps are good in that they give you a basic run down of depths, shoals, points, creeks etc. You then have to do some research on the body of water as to how fish relate to their structure, water temps, etc..... You can try to visit your local tackle shop cause they usually have maps that cover different water bodies...look them over and if you like it you buy it. Canadian tire usually has the fishing adventure backroads map books that cover lakes in specific regions like haliburton etc. Also the Ministry sells maps.

Rose's in Burlington is an offical Gov. Map agent in our area.

Yes the maps are worth the $15.00 or so, unless you want to drive around the lake all day wasting gas and a batteries looking for bottom structure.

Free maps are hard to come by on line. I can not think of any site's other the Anglers Atlas.

MAybe if you had a body of water in mind you could ask someone to split the cost of a map and get a couple phot copies, otherwise you are really asking someone to give you what they had to pay for.

I have got to say that I am having a hell of a time finding good maps on-line. By that I mean good free maps. And I am not talking fishing maps necessarily, but even in looking for a cottage. On a big lake like Sturgeon for instance, a cottage could be close to Bobcaygeon, close to Lindsay or close to Fenelon Falls.

You can start here: http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map

It is free

Edited by keram

I can't speak about other areas but in the North Kawarthas and the Kawarthas the lakes are drawn down all summer.

This water feeds the St. Lawrence Sea Way and creates space for run-off the following Spring.

Therefore the depths shown on my maps are more relative than accurate.

Weed lines and weed beds move and change from year to year as well.

But, a map will give you a general idea about shoals, points, fast drop-offs, flats, deep holes etc.

If you stop at the local MNR office they will often give you photo copies of their depth sounding maps.

This works best when your staying in the area and can find out which office has jurisdiction over the lake or lakes you're interested in.

Be aware that photo copies don't like water!

In the past we have bought maps from Adventure Fishing Maps. www.adventurefishingmaps.on.ca

I phoned them and picked the maps up at one guy's house outside Bridgenorth, so I don't know what the turn around on mail orders is like...

The small piece of the Rice Lake map shown on their website is a good representation of what their maps look like.

Some of the maps of smaller lakes don't have as much information on them.

The maps I bought were laminated, I don't recall if that was extra.

Garry2rs

Get your self a chart. If you don't know the area you are required to have a chart, and if you need a fish map you don't know the area.

This is an unenforceable law unless you ask the cop for directions or maybe your finding your way around with a fish map so if a cop pulls you over hide the map..

Here's a link to some fishing maps some may find interesting.

You can add your tips to the threads also.

http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewforum.php?f=7

Best Wishes: Rick

Promoting other boards! Uh-oh. haha I know there are a lot of members on this board that are members on that board.

I need to read the rules....even if it is help haha

Stoty, thanks a million.

I pm'd links to charts I scanned and put on a file sharing site in past 2 years, just added a few more. Still in hockey mode here so I don't come to the site often but will check back in in next few days-if anyone else wants the charts links just pm me (can't post openly) or pm links to each other.