HELP from the Centerpin Float fisherman....

jdmls

Hey guys

My stanton is on its last limb, i have changed the bearings on it but it just doesn't perform like it used to...I haveto help it along in order to get the right amount of pull or trott on my float. Any how I am looking to spend max $500 on a new reel. and I want a reel that doesn't require me to assist it in peeling line off to keep the right amount of back pressure on the float...

I really like the Okuma Sheffield but haven't heard to many good reviews about it

I have been thinking about an islander , but have read its rather heavy like my stanton and it has a slow startup.

I read alot of good and bad about most reels in my price range but can't narrow it down.. Is the sheffiled as low grade as everyone makes it out to be ??

If you had a choice what would it be out of these reels below..and also give your opinions as I know this board holds a lot of educated steelehead members

Okuma Sheffiled

Raven SST3

Islander Steelheader

JW Yonge Bob James

Apex

These seem to be the easiest to get a hold of in the GTA

Thanks Dave

All the reels mentioned work well - The Apex nowadays go for above $500 when you can find them (which is rare). If you're having start-up problems with the stanton, perhaps you can try cleaning the factory grease from the bearings (if any) by soaking them in lighter fluid and lubricating them with either gun or sewing machine oil (a light oil)...Getting them out though is a challenge. The stantons I've occasionally fished with had great start-up even in the frogiest of waters.

I have an Islander in my collection. They're light and durable reels. If anything, the miles of line and backing you need to fill it theoretically might hinder start-up but I haven't really found any issues. I Couldn't get used to the Bob James as the clicker got in the way...Works well if you cast British style with your hand below the reel.

No experience with the Sheffield

If you can find an Apex for sale please let me know LOL! I've been looking for one for years now with no luck.

Very rare, very collectable...

To answer your question here's another vote for Islander.

As far as readily accessable, moderately priced reels go they're bulletproof.

Look around though you might be able to pick one up used. I managed to get one last week

for $150 (not that I need it...just couldn't resist :) )

Had no problems with the sheffield, however the raven reel seemed to startup a little easier for me. The sheffield really seemed to improve for winter use with little or no oil though I suspect this would hold true for any reel.

I can't wait til some rivers open up here. Com'on melt

I'll echo the other posts regarding the Islander...for the money, you can't go wrong. It's probably the best production reel out there. A minor point, but my only criticism is that the clicker mechanism will allow the reel to move with only minimal pressure.

Here's mine, the great looking grey colour which is new for this year.

IMG_0315.jpg

As Danbo mentions the Loomis is a solid reel as well though many pass on it due it's relatively heavy weight. BTW Dan, the one you sold me is still in good hands and is helping to subdue steel after all of those years (including this monster from yesterday).

CopyofIMG_0335.jpg

Nov28.jpg

I'll echo the other posts regarding the Islander...for the money, you can't go wrong. It's probably the best production reel out there. A minor point, but my only criticism is that the clicker mechanism will allow the reel to move with only minimal pressure.

Here's mine, the great looking grey colour which is new for this year.

IMG_0315.jpg

As Danbo mentions the Loomis is a solid reel as well though many pass on it due it's relatively heavy weight. BTW Dan, the one you sold me is still in good hands and is helping to subdue steel after all of those years (including this monster from yesterday).

CopyofIMG_0335.jpg

Nov28.jpg

Sweet! (nice rod, it looks strangely familiar :) )

Had no problems with the sheffield, however the raven reel seemed to startup a little easier for me. The sheffield really seemed to improve for winter use with little or no oil though I suspect this would hold true for any reel.

I can't wait til some rivers open up here. Com'on melt

Just a note, but you can improve the startup of any float reel by degreasing the bearings.

Remove them from the reel, soak them overnight in kerosene, then put a couple of drops of sewing machine oil on them.

You won't believe the difference.

Just a note, but you can improve the startup of any float reel by degreasing the bearings.

Remove them from the reel, soak them overnight in kerosene, then put a couple of drops of sewing machine oil on them.

You won't believe the difference.

Solo , i tried that on the stanton. it helped but still suffered from slow startup...I think its the weight that was the problem . The Islander I picked up isn't the lightest reel out there but its a noticeable difference when holding both reels in comparison....I stripped most of the backing off of it to save some weight as well.

Solo , i tried that on the stanton. it helped but still suffered from slow startup...I think its the weight that was the problem . The Islander I picked up isn't the lightest reel out there but its a noticeable difference when holding both reels in comparison....I stripped most of the backing off of it to save some weight as well.

Huh, strange. Could be you simply need to upgrade your bearings. A cheap set of bearings won't be improved much no matter what you do to them...

Good luck with your Islander btw. Personally I like a more "solid" feeling reel, a bit more weight balances my rods better as well. Strange though, I've never heard anyone describe the Islander as heavy.

Also, removing dacron backing isn't going to save much weight assuming you fill the reel properly with mono...

You can get away with much less mono on the reel if you strictly Wallis cast though.

If you want to cut down on weight you can use something bulky and super light for backing like a cheap level taper floating fly line.

Cheers

My Raven isnt top of the line by any standards, but the start up is quick, it runs smooth and rarely needs any help.

Not to mention it has tamed a TON of steel for me this season.

med_gallery_256_231_222896.jpg

med_gallery_256_231_38313.jpg

med_gallery_256_231_204223.jpg

Quality, but affordable.

Huh, strange. Could be you simply need to upgrade your bearings. A cheap set of bearings won't be improved much no matter what you do to them...

Good luck with your Islander btw. Personally I like a more "solid" feeling reel, a bit more weight balances my rods better as well. Strange though, I've never heard anyone describe the Islander as heavy.

Also, removing dacron backing isn't going to save much weight assuming you fill the reel properly with mono...

You can get away with much less mono on the reel if you strictly Wallis cast though.

If you want to cut down on weight you can use something bulky and super light for backing like a cheap level taper floating fly line.

Cheers

You said it , I mastered the Wallis in the fall so I can afford to run little backing....I also like the line deep in the spool, as it prevents it from falling off the sides....I like your idea with the taper floating fly line !!

Edited by jdmls

I have the Okuma sheffield for 3 years now...I have beat the crap out of it and so have the fish....I do most of my floating in the Niagara river so when I slip and fall on rocks and smash the reel it has nicks and scratches but keeps on ticken. It was my starting reel and has gone down considerably since I bought it. I would recomend it for sure.

Edited by charlied