Lake Trout...What methods do you use???

Mornin' all.....

As I'm sittin here at home looking out at the 'ice/snow covered Ottawa River, I'm also dreaming about open water fishing and getting out for some Lakers....with the current windchill temp of -22C this morning, open water fishing seems so far away :wallbash:

I'm sure at one point or another, lake trout fisher's have debated over what methods they prefer using and what has proven successful for them..

So to open up this post for discussion, what do other members prefer using???

I have flat lined in the spring and use a downrigger once the water temp starts to drive the Lakers into deeper water...

Steel line vrs lead core???.....what are the differences???....braided or stretchy mono lines when using downriggers or dipsy's??? :Gonefishing:

I have done pretty well with a "Pink Lady" diver and a nice medium weight spinning rod with 10lb test. But that was from a canoe, which allows you to go slow enough, as that diver REALLY pulls. Doing it from the boat was a little tougher, but manageable. Just used a silver williams spoon and it worked pretty well in the middle of the summer at about 60 fow.

I have a small downrigger now, so I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback from those who rig regularly. And I HOPE that 12lb mono is the way to go...'cause I just spooled up a new Walker rod and reel with the stuff! :o

I like downrigging for them, Northern King lures are my fave. Love pulling them up from 80 - 100 feet of water. You can also put a cheater line, it slides down roughly half of what the ball depth is, so you can cover 80 ft and 40ft 92 (different depth) at the same time. Flatlining works good in spring before the cold water turnover.

Our group has been doing an annual spring trout trip for nearly 30 years. Usually, we're in camp around the 10th of May. Although we're mainly there for speckled trout, we can't resist fishing for some lake trout too. That early, we usually just troll a #3 EGB with light gear. During our Sep walleye trips, we also do some laker fishing. Then, I prefer to use my portable downrigger. I've had reasonable success using either a Sutton #71 flutter spoon or a Double Flutter Spoon. I have my line counter reel spooled with 14 pound mono to which I attach 25 feet of flurocarbon. In Sep, I've had most of my success trolling my lures at 30-35 feet, close to the thermocline layer.

Well unlike Spookd :) .. I use 30lb PPro on all my rigger rods and a rod length of mono as the leader/shock absorber tied to a high quality swivel. Got tired of mono breaking when trying to pop the line out of the riggers. The Power Pro has seemed to work well. We've only had one KNOWN fish on that got off... and that was a monster that Jim Krech (owner of Dad's in Temagami) horsed big time from the depths. Redeeming bonus for him was when the big guy got off a smaller eater was trailing and picked up the spoon!

I flat line in the spring with spoons and Rapala TD-11's. 95% of downrigging is done with spoons. Last years best producers were Len Thompson's big one in yellow/red 5 of diamonds and Linquest Brothers Cisco in Perch Pattern. Have every colour Linquest makes to try this year, as well as some new Ken's Custom flutter spoons from California and a big box of spoons I picked up off ebay (Pro King/Dreamweaver and many others).

Have every colour Linquest makes to try this year, as well as some new Ken's Custom flutter spoons from California and a big box of spoons I picked up off ebay (Pro King/Dreamweaver and many others).

Hey Wayne, I guess I'll just leave my box of spoons at home in May seein how you got enough for all of us :clapping::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I can get down to about 60' using a downrigger clip with various size weights on it. I just clip it right to my line, then attach the appropriate weight to the d-rig clip with a snap. I put the d-rig clip about 10-20' above the lure and troll that way. When a fish is on, you reel in until the clip is in reach, unclip it, and land the fish with no weight between you and the fish. Low tech, but it works. My favourite is a 1/2 and 1/2 wobbler with a fly trailer.

In the spring when they are shallow, I troll shad-raps or pins minnows, but prefer to cast bucktails.

OK, OK, I flatline in the spring, sometimes with planer boards or snapweights, and downrig thru the summer and fall. Minnowbaits and spoons, although some like inline spinners in black and chartreuse.

Not really a secret.

Edited by douG

LOL Doug.... :clapping: ....I got a snap weight kit for Christmas this year....I used a buddies kit last fall on Quinte instead of riggers and was pretty successful :Gonefishing: .....

So, what is the main reason that some people still use steel line??? I can see using leadcore because it's color coded and gives you a fairly good indication of your depth, depending on your trolling speed, but I'm always curious when I hear someone talking about trolling with steel line especially nowadays when you can use downriggers, dipsy divers, etc, to get you to the desired depths.......

Steve

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

LOL Doug.... :clapping: ....I got a snap weight kit for Christmas this year....I used a buddies kit last fall on Quinte instead of riggers and was pretty successful :Gonefishing: .....

So, what is the main reason that some people still use steel line??? I can see using leadcore because it's color coded and gives you a fairly good indication of your depth, depending on your trolling speed, but I'm always curious when I hear someone talking about trolling with steel line especially nowadays when you can use downriggers, dipsy divers, etc, to get you to the desired depths.......

Steve

Good question. I think it might be a 'style' thing with some guys. One of my friends swears by handlining copper line for lakers, even if I outfish him. It looks like a pain, especially when he is bringing in a fish and the bottom of the canoe starts filling up with a big, snarly pile of copper wire.

Steel line? For one thing, it keeps you in contact with the strike in a way that downriggers and dipseys don't, while still allowing your bait to run deeper than with a flatline.

Steel line use puts the lie to the use of braids (rip their lips off etc). That monel steel has even less give than braids do, and I don't remember seeing my lure come up on a steel line with fish lips on the hook.

I haven't used steel line for many years, preferring braid while flatlining, and either braid or mono for the downriggers.

Steve, the whole principle is getting your spoon to the bottom dragging the bottom making dust. Bang that spoon on the bottom. You get hung up some times put you will produce fish. I can almost guarantee a lake Trout on Lake O. dragging your cannon ball on the bottom stirring up dust. Bangs the poop out of the ball. Keep your drag set on the rigger encase your ball gets hung up. Charters on L. Simcoe use this technique all the time.

You will find stirring the bottom attracts most fish, at times.

Wire and lead cord was made to get your spoon down deep hitting the bottom. Don't be scared to jerk your line, that sudden jerk will entice a strike.

Good Luck

Thanks guys....I only have a Canon Mini-Troll portable clamp on right now mainly due to the fact that I fish out of a 14' tinny....I remember catchin bottom last year not paying attention to the sonar and I almost lost the rigger out of the boat...and.. as I frantically cranked the rigger up, I had a Laker on the end :thumbsup_anim: stirring bottom does work!!