ATV opinions

taper

I have just had an opportunity to purchase an ATV at a very good price. I have my option of 3, a 2006 Suzuki Vincent 500 gear puncher, a 2007 Suzuki Eiger 400 auto or a 2007 Honda 500 electric shift. Do any of you have any experiences good or bad with any of these machines? Right now I am leaning toward the Honda.

I've owned 2 electric shift Honda's and they have been great. The 500 you are speaking of must be the Honda Foreman. Honda's are bulletproof, but the Suzuki's you mentioned are also excellent machines. If you can ride each of them before you decide that is what I suggest you do.

never used any (i'm a yammi user and abuser) but i have a buddy who had a honda foreman when they first came out with electronic shift and it would often get stuck in 3rd gear, he'd have to stop and shut the bike off and restart it , was apparently a common issue with those bikes but i'm sure has been fixed by now,

good luck on ur decision, ur gonna have a blast

i had a 01 forman with ES.. .Sold it after 6 months... Drum brakes were CRAP.... ES kept messing up whenever id go close to water.... LOW ground clearance.. NO 2wd....... SRA ... etc... i bought an Arctic cat and its been great other than my Belt exploding a couple weeks back....

Got two Honda Rubicons, use them all winter and in some pretty deep stuff.Powerful and fast. No problems to date. I think most makes today have worked out most bugs from the past. Which ever you choose I am sure you will be ok, one thing for sure you will have a hell of a good time! Good Luck

I wouldn't buy a used quad unless I knew the guy who owned it and could be sure he wasn't a total haywire. If it's been abused you could be getting into a real jackpot.

You can get a brand new Kawi 750 for just over $10G. Also there are guys bringing in new bikes from the states and selling them privately...I've seen a Honda 550 Foreman for $6500. Have fun getting work done under warranty with one though.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. Bonghitts I know exactly what you are saying, but I guess a 2007 Foreman 500 with 76 original miles that needs a small amount of repair work for $4000, I can take that chance :thumbsup_anim:

Before any one makes the assumption I know exactly where it came from and it's not stolen.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. Bonghitts I know exactly what you are saying, but I guess a 2007 Foreman 500 with 76 original miles that needs a small amount of repair work for $4000, I can take that chance :thumbsup_anim:

Before any one makes the assumption I know exactly where it came from and it's not stolen.

thats a good deal, i'd buy that up!

There are things that I would look at first before buying a ATV. First, can you start the thing with a dead battery? Can you go into reverse without having to downshift into first gear or neutral?

I don't think that I would like an automatic transmission. I much prefer a semi-automatic transmission.

As to which is the best ATV, wow....that's a difficult question to answer. There are lots of changes every few years. There is always the question of what the ATV will be mostly used for. It's for doing a lot of cruising, then choose an ATV with a more comfortable ride. My 1988 350 Big Bear does not ride like a sofa. It has a stiff ride. The only breakdowns I've had with this atv was a weird happening with the gear shift assembly. I had to take the motor out and have the part replaced in a shop. Somehow, a small screw came undone. The other breakdown was an oil conduit close to the oil filter and close to my left foot. Something broke the white metal part.

Other than those 2 problems, my Big Bear behaves flawlessly. It starts in -30 degree temperature no problem. The battery has been dead for a couple of years now. I start it with the hand rope. The oil in the engine is the colour of honey.

I've got a 350 big bear and same deal dabluz... a quick pull and she runs. Another member's larger machine may as well not come with a pull rope...'cause you can't pull it. You'd think they'd put a decompression button on them... like my ice auger!

My Kawi 750 Brute Force comes with a pull start and NO decompression button. I can start it with a single one hander almost every time I've tried it. It's also fully automatic...I'll never go back to a shifter.

Get a winch. For God's sake, get a winch. There will come a time you wish you had it.