need a rod suggestion

FISHINGNUT

Ok guys last year I started fishing senkos and love them .I was using an older 6.5' medium heavy quantum spinning rod with 15# power pro which my buddie steped on and broke so I am looking for a new rod this year.I know most of the time you watch the line with this technique so a sensative rod tip isnt as critical but I found my last set up seemed heavy for such a light wieght bait.I fish from a boat and do alot of dock and shorline weed fishing for lrg mouth bass so maybe I do need a heavy action rod :dunno: .Any advice on rod and line would be helpful thanks

I'm going to be looking for a similar rod this year. Last year I used a 6' 6" medium action but found it too light when in the weeds. I lost a couple of fish because I couldn't keep them up and out of the weeds. I also tried a 7 foot medium and it was even worse, and it was hard to get accurate casts. I am going to go with a 6 foot medium heavy spinning rod this year. I think that will be easier to make short casts accurately into cover and around docks and should still have enough backbone for me to horse them out of the weeds. I think your line is definitely not too heavy, 15 pound power pro has the same diameter as 4 pound test mono, so that should not be hurting your casting. I will probably go for either 20 or 30 pound power pro, not for the strength but more for the diameter, its easy to handle.

Those are just my thoughts, haven't tried it out yet, but thats what I am set on.

Edited by evster

Right now I am using a 1 piece 7'2" MH Cumara rod with a Stradic 2500 reel 20 lbs Power Pro. I use this exclusivly for Cinkos. I don't even know if I know how to fish with anything else, yet I have all sorts of different stuff. I know it is a drop shot rod, but I really like it over other rods that I have used.

I fish plastics for bass in the weeds with a 7' MH Daiwa Heartland "Bass" spinning rod and 2500 series daiwa reel. currently have 20 or 30# fireline on it. don't find it too heavy at all and I'll use this setup as a 3rd pike rod in the spring.

Edited by Raf

I personally stay away from all of those fancy expencive rods and go for the good ol' Ugly Stick. the tip sensitivity is great and so is the 7 year guarentee, no worries about stepping on a Stick even if it breaks they'll give you a new one. I love my Ugly sticks and by the sounds of it a 6'6 medium would suit you just fine and they are only $44 atyour local walmart.

hope this helps

hillbilly

I don`t know if the people that are at our Sportsman show go to yours to sell stuff, there used to be a guy at the one here that made flipping stick rod blanks into spinning rods. Nice stiffer action rods and the telescoping handle made them easier to cart around. I think they were rated 3/8 to 1 1/2 ounce lures.

I have one made by Falcon, no longer made, options are out there, someone on the board makes rods? Spiel maybe?

I use a spinning reel semi closed face (Abu 507 Mark 1) also no longer made with 17 to 20 pound test mono, it handles it easily.

I also use some 7 foot one piece Abu-Garcia rods, medium heavy, lol dirt cheap like 10 bucks, they had the right action.