Water Levels G/Lakes

OhioFisherman

The greats lakes water level(s) are not an easy or one wet season fix.

The huge volume of water in the lakes vs the relative small catchment area is the problem.

The lakes are there due to the melting of glaciers. We keep taking water out, and/or diverting it and weather patterns change. No easy fix if there is one at all.

Ya, certainly no expert on water flow. Just my basic plumbing, double the size of a pipe and increase water flow 4x, dredging some of the rivers, channels between the upper great lakes could cause a problem up there.

Just my opinion error on the safe side? Low water levels could remove spawning options for native fish?

Our family has been on Georgian Bay for many many years.

This isnt the first time the water level has been down and its definatly not the worst.

Theres a spray painted island in our bay, not to many years with water levels this low but there

has been 2 years that its been a lot worse........they wernt in the last 50 years.

As Kyle points out... I hope it's just a cycle and not the dredging of the St.Clair etc/ aquaducts to mid states etc sucking it dry. Leah's parents were on Sturgeon Bay/Victoria Harbour and originally had about 200 feet of front lawn to the waters edge. There were three rock islands to hit VISIBLE out in the mouth, etc. when I first went there in 1980. Then over time the front lawn became about 40 feet to the front door. The current water level of Georgian bay is still higher than I remember first seeing it and the three visible rock piles are back in the mouth of Sturgeon Bay as is the long walk to the water from the front door. Those there rock piles were under water for most of the last 20+ years.

That said... Superior being as low as it is...is downright scary.

Nature always finds a way,..no matter how much we as humans interfere...record low water levels,....record snow fall season in southern ontario...conicidence? ...lol ... but seriously, if one really studies the historical record over the past few hundred years, their are blips and peaks and troughs, but it always ends up evening out. Global warming and climate change aside. I know everytime I was shovellin snow this year, I was thinkin about all the chromers in my future...lol