Feb 19th Dunnville Ice Video Report

Fishmaster

I would think long and hard about keeping any fish from the arse end of the Grand... Good for sport and perhaps a mount... but little else..

this article explains it...

Study finds it's the third foulest in the province

December 11, 2007

JEFF OUTHIT

RECORD STAFF

WATERLOO REGION

The Grand River starts out clean near Fergus but gets dirtier as it flows past cities and farms towards Lake Erie.

By the time it drains into the lake, the Grand has degenerated into the third-foulest river in Ontario, a new federal study shows.

"We humans are putting a lot of demands on this river," said Dave Schultz, spokesperson for the Grand River Conservation Authority, which manages the watershed.

"We've been well aware for some time that it's under stress."

The Environment Canada study reveals little new about the Grand but paints a big picture in comparing freshwater quality at 396 sites across the country. It found that:

Water quality in the Grand is good in the north near Fergus but falls to marginal in the south at Dunnville, near Lake Erie.

Only two Ontario rivers are in worse shape than the Grand River at Dunnville. They are the Don River in Toronto and Fletcher's Creek in Brampton. Both have a poor rating by national standards.

Smaller rivers that feed into the Grand are generally OK. About 70 per cent are rated in fair shape or better, while about 30 per cent are in marginal shape.

Measurements of water quality define risks to fish and plants. They are not drinking water standards.

Mediocre sewage treatment is partly to blame for poor water quality because more effluent drains into the Grand than the river can easily absorb.

The river is also damaged by urban runoff, such as animal droppings and lawn-care fertilizers, and farm runoff, including manure and agricultural fertilizers.

The Grand River watershed agency released similar findings in September. It found the river is "very stressed" in Cambridge, downstream from two municipal plants that drain treated waste into the river.

River damage includes low levels of dissolved oxygen and high levels of nutrients, related to human waste, animal and plant decay.

Water quality improves between Cambridge and Paris, before deteriorating again as the Grand flows towards Lake Erie.

Farm runoff is likely to blame for marginal water quality in the Nith River and Canagagigue Creek, Schultz said.

Though stressed, the Grand River is in better shape than 50 or 60 years ago.

"There were days when the river in the summer was not much more than diluted sewage," Schultz said. "We've come a long ways since then."

Now, the Grand supports a revived fishery and recreational use.

However, there's concern about how the watershed, with 900,000 residents, will cope with 500,000 more residents expected by 2031.

"We're going to have to sort of work harder just to stay even, or to get ahead in terms of water quality," Schultz said.

Improved sewage treatment is expected to improve river quality. Getting there is not cheap.

"All the municipalities are working in that direction," Schultz said. "It just takes time."

Waterloo regional council plans to spend $265 million, mostly after 2009, to upgrade sewage treatment in Kitchener and Waterloo. To help pay for this, regional water rates are expected to double by 2014.

Only 27 per cent of sewage treatment in the Grand River watershed is at an advanced standard.

[email protected]

A new federal study compares water quality at rivers across Canada, using an index of 0 to 100. The best quality is 100 and 0 is the worst.

Here's a sampling of local and Ontario rivers

River or creek / Index / Rating

Don, Toronto / 35 / Poor

Fletcher's, Brampton / 43 / Poor

Grand, at Dunnville / 48 / Marginal

Avon, Stratford / 54 / Marginal

Upper Canagagigue, Elmira / 62 / Marginal

Nith, New Hamburg / 62 / Marginal

Thames, London / 68 / Fair

Speed, near Guelph / 74 / Fair

Grand, near Fergus / 82 / Good

Source: Canadian Environmental Sustainability Indicators, 2007.

Note: Water quality measured 2003-2005.

Gerritt.

I would think long and hard about keeping any fish from the arse end of the Grand... Good for sport and perhaps a mount... but little else..

this article explains it...

Study finds it's the third foulest in the province

December 11, 2007

JEFF OUTHIT

RECORD STAFF

WATERLOO REGION

The Grand River starts out clean near Fergus but gets dirtier as it flows past cities and farms towards Lake Erie.

By the time it drains into the lake, the Grand has degenerated into the third-foulest river in Ontario, a new federal study shows.

"We humans are putting a lot of demands on this river," said Dave Schultz, spokesperson for the Grand River Conservation Authority, which manages the watershed.

"We've been well aware for some time that it's under stress."

The Environment Canada study reveals little new about the Grand but paints a big picture in comparing freshwater quality at 396 sites across the country. It found that:

Water quality in the Grand is good in the north near Fergus but falls to marginal in the south at Dunnville, near Lake Erie.

Only two Ontario rivers are in worse shape than the Grand River at Dunnville. They are the Don River in Toronto and Fletcher's Creek in Brampton. Both have a poor rating by national standards.

Smaller rivers that feed into the Grand are generally OK. About 70 per cent are rated in fair shape or better, while about 30 per cent are in marginal shape.

Measurements of water quality define risks to fish and plants. They are not drinking water standards.

Mediocre sewage treatment is partly to blame for poor water quality because more effluent drains into the Grand than the river can easily absorb.

The river is also damaged by urban runoff, such as animal droppings and lawn-care fertilizers, and farm runoff, including manure and agricultural fertilizers.

The Grand River watershed agency released similar findings in September. It found the river is "very stressed" in Cambridge, downstream from two municipal plants that drain treated waste into the river.

River damage includes low levels of dissolved oxygen and high levels of nutrients, related to human waste, animal and plant decay.

Water quality improves between Cambridge and Paris, before deteriorating again as the Grand flows towards Lake Erie.

Farm runoff is likely to blame for marginal water quality in the Nith River and Canagagigue Creek, Schultz said.

Though stressed, the Grand River is in better shape than 50 or 60 years ago.

"There were days when the river in the summer was not much more than diluted sewage," Schultz said. "We've come a long ways since then."

Now, the Grand supports a revived fishery and recreational use.

However, there's concern about how the watershed, with 900,000 residents, will cope with 500,000 more residents expected by 2031.

"We're going to have to sort of work harder just to stay even, or to get ahead in terms of water quality," Schultz said.

Improved sewage treatment is expected to improve river quality. Getting there is not cheap.

"All the municipalities are working in that direction," Schultz said. "It just takes time."

Waterloo regional council plans to spend $265 million, mostly after 2009, to upgrade sewage treatment in Kitchener and Waterloo. To help pay for this, regional water rates are expected to double by 2014.

Only 27 per cent of sewage treatment in the Grand River watershed is at an advanced standard.

[email protected]

A new federal study compares water quality at rivers across Canada, using an index of 0 to 100. The best quality is 100 and 0 is the worst.

Here's a sampling of local and Ontario rivers

River or creek / Index / Rating

Don, Toronto / 35 / Poor

Fletcher's, Brampton / 43 / Poor

Grand, at Dunnville / 48 / Marginal

Avon, Stratford / 54 / Marginal

Upper Canagagigue, Elmira / 62 / Marginal

Nith, New Hamburg / 62 / Marginal

Thames, London / 68 / Fair

Speed, near Guelph / 74 / Fair

Grand, near Fergus / 82 / Good

Source: Canadian Environmental Sustainability Indicators, 2007.

Note: Water quality measured 2003-2005.

Gerritt.

Just think Gerrit the cow you eat and the chickens and pigs you eat all drink the same water ..you drinking your city water is worse then eating any walleye ...if you listen to every thing your here you mise well give up liven and not eat or drink or fish for that matter ..seems all the post i do you get Cranky ..

Edited by Fishmaster

( Clampet -12 right now with a wind chill of -22 It doesn't take much to make more ice with those temps ..)

Rich there are a lot of fish being released that you do not see. The river has a good run of walleye this winter from all over, including Weatly and the the US side. We are only getting to fish a 1 mile stretch of river ...how many walleye are on the other 100red miles of RIVER.…The lower Grand is connected to Lake Erie and fish come and go as they like. Resident fish, non resident fish ..I work with the MNR and alllways do my best to help others do their part in C&R. However people have the right to keep whats is Legal in the Regs. You are seeing fish because it is ice fishing. When we fish on open water you don't see what people bring into their boats. I saw you out fishing once this winter on the ice, and really how many fish did you see coming off the ice? In the past I have watched many people catching dinks at the dam which is worse because when you bring a fish up from 22 to 30 fow they usally don't live to see another day...

WE have a good fishery here, and there is nothing wrong with people keeping a couple of fish for the table. This is just my 2 cents

Edited by Fishmaster

Just think Gerrit the cow you eat and the chickens and pigs you eat all drink the same water ..you drinking your city water is worse then eating any walleye ...if you listen to every thing your here you mise well give up liven and not eat or drink or fish for that matter ..seems all the post i do you get Cranky ..

Care for some raw sewage and toxins with that Wall-ice dinner?

Don't pay any mind to Gerritt, he's just "ill" 'cause Bernie gave him a "strappin" on Nip last weekend! :w00t:

Cranky? how was I cranky? I just posted a news article about the Grand River and why people might want to think twice about consuming fish from it...

and as a side note I know where my food comes from as I buy directly from the farmer. He is located nowhere near the Grand River ;)

Sorry if I came across the wrong way, but I see little wrong with me posting a news article that contains facts about the waterway.

G

Cranky? how was I cranky? I just posted a news article about the Grand River and why people might want to think twice about consuming fish from it...

and as a side note I know where my food comes from as I buy directly from the farmer. He is located nowhere near the Grand River ;)

Sorry if I came across the wrong way, but I see little wrong with me posting a news article that contains facts about the waterway.

G

Yup!.. cranky!