snowblower offering bumpy ride (nf)

Rizzo

So I took advice from some board members and bought a snowblower. Barrie apparently has been pretty much sold out of them for months but I finally found one after searching about 10 stores. Used it for the first time a few days back and found it didn't drive very smoothly. Engine ran smoothly, but I had to rock it or physically push it in some areas. I don't think the tires are the problem because they are quite significant. I believe it is because the scraper bar is too close to the ground and was hitting some packed snow/ice stuck on my driveway. If this is the case, is this as simple as adjusting the height of the "skids" it runs on or is there something else I need to be looking at? I'm hoping the height of the skids can be adjusted from the outside and I don't have to get right in there, as my tools basically include a wrench, $9 screwdriver with adjustable heads and my dad's old hammer.

Yup Rizzo, jsut adjust the height of the skids, should be pretty simple...I leave mine about an inch and a half off the ground, but then I have a gravel driveway. Once you get a solid base you can lower the skids back down if you wish....

Maureen

The one I received this year as a gift has to be tilted forward slightly so that the rubber blades will propel it forward...works well...

My old one that I donated to Big Cliff had 5 forward speeds and one reverse and moved well...problem was...it had the blowin' power of an 80 year old hooker...

If the snow was the least bit wet...it looked like an old guy trying to pee... :blush:

Speaking of Big Cliff, I believe he provided the words "right tool for the job" (or something like that) when I was debating walk behind snowblower or snowblower attachment for the lawn tractor...so I went out and got the walk behind. Now to try and adjust the height so that I don't half to wrestle the thing to keep it moving! Would be nice to have some snow to try it out on as well...it just keeps raining here.

Speaking of Big Cliff, I believe he provided the words "right tool for the job" (or something like that) when I was debating walk behind snowblower or snowblower attachment for the lawn tractor...so I went out and got the walk behind. Now to try and adjust the height so that I don't half to wrestle the thing to keep it moving! Would be nice to have some snow to try it out on as well...it just keeps raining here.

Then now would be the time to do the adjustment Rizzo, instead of during, or just after a major snow dump. I agree with Mo, about 1.5 inches off the ground should do just fine.I own a walk behind, and after I got it set properly, no problems.

And get yourself some tools, just watch for the sales at CTC. A 100 piece or more socket set, along with a combination wrench set in both metric and SAE can be bought for less than 120 bucks when they have their "lost leader" sales. Probably more than half of them in those kits you will never use, but for the price, you have them if needed.

My old one that I donated to Big Cliff had 5 forward speeds and one reverse and moved well...problem was...it had the blowin' power of an 80 year old hooker...

If the snow was the least bit wet...it looked like an old guy trying to pee... :blush:

Thanks Norm, I think.....................just the image I needed in my head on a Monday afternoon :whistling: :whistling: :whistling::lol:

Thanks for the advice all. The scraper bar was basically right on ground at first. I loosened the skids, and then lowered the machine onto a ceramic tile and re-tightened it. That is still very low clearance, but I'm paved driveway so we'll see if it works. Either way, it was a real quick adjustment for even someone like me, total of about 2 minutes. If its still too low, we'll stack 2 ceramic tiles and do it all over!

Hey rizzo,

good job figuring out the raising of the bar. I still have no idea what the skids are. lol. Growing up in nfld I sure coulda used one year after year, ( misfish can second me on da amounts ah sno we gits back 'ome! eh cocky? ) but my many attempts to get my father to buy one was always met with," Why do I need to get a snowblower when I have you?". I never did like that responce. <_<

yup, adjust the skid plates (but depending on how rough your driveway is you might have to set them a bit higher).

Tapout, the skids are two plates on either side of the blower which can be adjusted to raise or lower the blower for paved or gravel driveways. They are held in place by two bolts.

Tjsa has a good idea, you should probably pick up one of the socket kits at CTC next time thay are on special.