Niagara Report with pics

Cast Adventures

Winter Fly Fishing and Niagara River Report.

303991895.jpg

If you enjoy to Fly Fish, or have always wanted to try it, the Niagara River offers some fantastic Fly Fishing opportunities for Steelhead and lake trout! Trout remain very aggressive during the winter months and there is no closed season. In addition, it may be one of the only locations which doesn’t freeze over. The minnow bite on the Niagara River is very good! Stripping streamers and different minnow patterns produces explosive strikes!

303991893.jpg

Last Week I made a trip to a local river with the Fly rod.

302337512.jpg

The Smaller river is open year round for fishing. It was on Groundhog Day, the day before the area was hit hard by a snow storm. When I arrived the location was covered by a fresh blanket of ice and snow, making for some beautiful scenery.

302337513.jpg

We Also Explored the Niagara gorge.This is a great way to get out of the house for the day. Good alternative to ice fishing!

303992644.jpg

303992637.jpg

Fishing the Niagara from the boat this time of year is always an Adventure, here are a few pictures from Saturday February the 9th 2008.

303396486.jpg

303396491.jpg

One Bonus walleye,

303396687.jpg

The Steelhead fishing was good to us and the biggest trout landed was 11lbs.

303396489.jpg

The best cure for the winter blues is to get out side and enjoy the great outdoors! The best place in Southern Ontario to cure the winter fishing bug is the Niagara River along with a handful of hard fighting Lake trout or Steelhead!

See you on the River,

That looks like a blast. Beauty fish. I've never tried but I'd like to learn to flyfish sometime. It's a whole new world to me. I guess I'll have to learn not only how, but where as well. You say "the minnow bite was good", so would a guy have success in these areas with a spinning rod setup and minnows right now? How about mepps?

Kennyman,

To answer your question:

304132849.jpg

Steelhead/Lake/Brown Trout all feed heavily on Minnows in the Niagara River. Casting Mepps, Spoons, and crankbaits will all catch you fish. Mepps tend to be most productive when water conditions clear. Have had good success on size # 2-to-4 in fire tiger, silver and gold. Spoons in 1/4oz to-3/4oz in blue/silver, green/silver, orange/silver. Crankbaits- black/silver, blue/silver will get you started. Using a spinning rod with live and or plastic minnows will also work depending on the location and setup you use.

Good luck!

Great report Cast Adventures.. looks like you guys had a blast out on the Niagara river, and it's great to see that you can still catch some beauties softwater style in the dead of winter! I was up in Niagara Falls at the end of December with my woman, but I never had a chance to slip away and wet a line.. next time..