Vehicle crashed through the ice on Kamaniskeg Lake

Sad news! This was posted in today's Ottawa Sun newspaper!

OPP divers have found the bodies of two students who were in a van that plunged through the ice covering Lake Kamaniskeg, near Barry's Bay, on Saturday.

The male and female students were recovered from the submerged vehicle on Monday.

Police were not releasing the names of the pair, pending notification of relatives.

Four students from Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Academy in Barry’s Bay had been traveling in the van when it broke through the ice.

Two students escaped the vehicle and swam to shore. They found a cottage and spent the night until they could go for help.

Students and staff at the Catholic liberal arts college in Barry's Bay spent today praying for those involved in the tragedy.

Police are continuing to investigate what caused the van to wind up on the lake.

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

Sad news indeed.

"Police are continuing to investigate what caused the van to wind up on the lake."

Unless the lake is right beside the road and the driver maybe lost control, I would think the main reason the van wound up on the lake was the driver, don't ya think.

Unless the lake is right beside the road and the driver maybe lost control, I would think the main reason the van wound up on the lake was the driver, don't ya think.

This is probably not a good time to judge or draw conclusions.

My condolences to the families of those involved.

Definitely sad to hear, very tragic loss for everyone involved.

Makes me curious as to the circumstances though. I've ice fished Kamaniskeg for lake trout many times over the years.

One of the best and most popular spots is right where the Madawaska River flows into the lake. Many locals put huts out there just south of the river mouth where there's usually open moving water all water long. Some even drive out with vehicles as there's a public boat launch with easy lake access right there. Honestly it never ceased to amaze me...

Yes thats tragic,i just seen that on the news tonight ...you can still see the tracks from the van going right up to the dark spot where the van went down !!! they said nothing about ice fishing,so its unclear if thats what they were doing...too bad it happens every year....

This is probably not a good time to judge or draw conclusions.

My condolences to the families of those involved.

Dan, kindly read again, I made no inference to the people involved, rather the comment from the newspaper " Police are continuing to investigate what caused the van to wind up on the lake".

Sorry if you took it the wrong way.