boat registration

SBCregal

Hi,

It looks like I'm gonna be buying a boat off of a buddy of mine. It is a 12' boat with a 9.9 motor on the back. I was wondering what sort of registration and licensing I need for me to be legal on the water. I'm sure I need the operators card (i can take that test online right?) but what about the boat itself? and the trailer? is there ownerships for boats this small? how do i go about switching license plates and all of that for the trailer? this is my first boat purchase so i'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff. thanks in advance!

looking forward to being on the water,

Ryan

you will need a boat operators card. you will also neeed to register the trailer with the mto as for the plates it is the same as a car.... no other registration required.

I should add you will need a bill of sale.. and you will pay taxes @ the MTO

G

Edited by Gerritt

Get a bill for the trailer for $50... take the ownership that he should have for it...have him sign it over to you, as Gerritt says just like a car. He keeps the plate...you get a new one for I believe $10 at the licence bureau and they'll collect taxes on the $50 sale price of the OLD trailer.

When you go to the MTO, just tell them you need plates for a homemade trailer. Don't have to pay tax if the trailer's homemade. On the application, under color, put BLACK. Go home, use tremclad black, paint the trailer. It is now homemade!! Worked for me, and I had a brand new easy hauler(2005). (bought 14.5' boat w/ 9.9hp without a trailer). Why pay tax if you don't have to. If you ever sell the package, the new owner pays the tax. ( If he does'nt know about this!)

As for the rest of what you need, just a boaters card I think. Oh,,, and a fishing rod!!

BTW, I was pulled over twice on the 400, while towing, and they didn't ask to see anything regarding the boat either time. (trailer i mean)

Edited by steelhedrmatt

I just switched over and plated my trailer a couple days ago. Same scenario. It's a 14 foot tinny with an 8hp Yamaha. I told them I bought a boat motor and trailer as a package and the trailer was only worth $100. They make you sign for the taxes etc. Came out to $43 alltogether. I guess I should have told them I made the trailer and painted it black, but it was only $43 the legal way. I guess when I get a bigger motor someday I'll have to register the boat too.