Jeep Grand Cherokee

tomO

I have a 1998 with 175K on it and all I can say is that this year I have spent well over $3,000 on repairs.

replaced radiator, rear differential, water pump, power steering pump, and a couple of other components in only the past 6 months.

Mechanic says that I should also watch out for oil getting into the air filter due to "blow back" from the engine. The engine already is showing signs of oil coming out the top of it.

Hope my problems are just specific to my car, but from what I heard my issues are pretty common for my year class.

Then again, my neighbour had a 1994 that lasted 300Ks with minimal issues.

Something else to keep in mind....as my neighbour had the same issue as I did even though our cars were 4 years apart...Our brake pedal would stick slightly, just enough to keep the rear brake lights on. I could never figure out why my battery would keep dying on me until someone one day pointed out that my rear lights were on. I spoke to my neighbour who confirmed the same thing would happen with his car.

Good luck.

Here's a history of the recalls for that vehicle.....

1999-2000 Grand Cherokee: Inadequately manufactured shoulder seatbelt height-adjustable turning-loop top mounting bolt may not withstand sufficient force to function properly in certain impact situations.

2000 Grand Cherokee: Improperly heat-treated end-of-travel stops in some steering-gear units could result in sticking, binding, or seizing of the steering gear.

2000 Grand Cherokee: Passenger-airbag inflator assembly in small number of cars contains incorrect inflator charge amount, which could increase risk of passenger injury under certain crash conditions.

2000 Grand Cherokee: The plastic blades of the electric motor driven cooling fan may separate and penetrate the shroud, possibly striking a person in the vicinity of the engine by the blade and injured. Dealers will replace the electric cooling fan modules free of charge.

2000-02 Grand Cherokee: Fuel tank on some vehicles may have suspect vent-tube welds; separation of tube weld could result in fuel leakage.

Here are some trouble spots....

1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Reliability

Trouble Spots

Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Engine misfire: The powertrain-control module (engine computer) may have to be reprogrammed or replaced if the engine sags with the A/C on. (1999)

Fuel odors: The gas tank may fill slowly because of a problem with the filler pipe, which has been revised, and there is also a revised gas cap to replace binding ones. (1999)

Hard starting: Engine may be hard to start due to an internal leak or bits of plastic wedged inside the fuel-pump assembly. A new sealing ring or complete pump assembly could be required. (1999-2000)

Hard starting: Faulty fuel pump assembly leads to low fuel pressure and long cranking times. (1999-2000)

Oil leak: Gear lube may leak from the rear differential, especially after driven at highway speeds following cold soak, and is caused by oil coming out of the vent. Installing an accumulator on the vent line is necessary. (1999-04)

Vehicle noise: Popping/snapping noises are usually corrected by replacing the front driveshaft. In many cases, that unit probably has a dry universal joint. (1999)

Vehicle noise: Replacing the rear driveshaft eliminates a whining sound above 40 mph. (1999-2000)

Vehicle shake: If camber alignment cannot be brought into spec, countermeasure offset ball joints are available. (1999-2000)

Finally...here is a page where tons of people who bought this vehicle have written reviews....

http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-2000_Jee...nion_list/pp_~7

Just for interests sake an 05 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 presently has 44 Technical service Bulletins from Chrysler. Its about average for domestic vehicles. Quality imports have substantially less on average. Its unfortunate its this way but from what I see the domestics may be improving a little. There are no TSBs on the actual engine.

I have a 1995 4.7 L with 293000 + so far have replaced the waterpump, thermestat a starter and a sterring stabalizer.

Seems to have electrical problems with this car, power doors locks went and now the rear wiper.

Also once in a while very rare occurence of the transmission won't shift into third, but if I stop, turn it off and start up again all is fine, any one elf have had this glich happen.

But overall a great vehicle to drive.