MNR Reverses Live Bait Reg

Chris

The limit of 120 kinda had me scratching my head a little as well. But i totally understood the reasoning behind the crayfish transposrt ban. You guys should be glad that they didn't ban their use all together. The damage rusty's do to the ecosystem is extensive. If you want more information let me know.

The bait regualtions on transportation and things use are trying to stop oar at least limit invasive species spreading. There is about 140 known exotic species in the great lakes. They MNR is trying to keep them their. If you want to complain to your MPP about something, compalin about the lack of regualtion and enforcement of ballast discharge from ships. If the critters don't get into the country then you won't have to worry about the MNR passing laws to limit their movements.

Their decisions are based upon trends and observations they have made in the field. Remember that they are protecting the fishery so it can be used sustainibly. They are not protecting the fisherman. If you think a regulation is dumb, they probably have a reason for it that is at least logical.

Try to keep an open mind when you read some of this stuff. It has to go through a lot of political man-handing before it becomes law...and we all know what polititions can do to a good idea!

tight lines fellas

-Ramble

yeah but if you are going to a back lake for a week you can only carry in 120 which equals 17 minnows a day for the trip

on simcoe when the perch are biting that would last you less then an hour

I thought it was 144 - 12 dozen. Best refresh on the rules. My bad.

Trap my own and now and then I swear one trap has that and more. I ain't counting, it's never been way beyond....

yup

here is the cut and paste pg. #6

BAIT LIMIT NOTES

Baitfish 120

Includes those

caught and or

purchased. See

list of permitted

baitfish species.

Only resident anglers may capture

baitfish, using the methods outlined

below.

One baitfish trap no more than 51 cm

(20 in.) long and 31 cm (12.2 in.) wide

can be used day or night. Bait-fish

traps must be clearly marked with the

name of the user.

One dip-net no more than 183 cm (6 ft.)

on each side if square, or 183 cm (6 ft.)

across if circular, during daylight hours

only (after sunrise and before sunset).