MNR Petition and Hello

upsidedown

Hi everyone! Im new to the board but I hope to be here for a while. I did however find this site because of something that has struck a cord with me and i cant shake it. I'm not sure if this has been posted before or if anyone on this site has signed this but I have to put this up. I'm just a young guy that has been teaching myself how to fish and picking up as much as I can from all the "old dogs" but the more I fish and see the state of our sport the more disgusted I get with it. In 2 years of fishing I have seen the good (good people helping each other and having fun, obeying the laws and respecting our resources) and the bad (vulgar comments and disrespect between fellow sportsmen, indiscriminate killing, poaching, and mistreatment of our resources). I try and support The MNR as much as I can but it is everyones responsibility. I refuse to go fishing with people without fishing licenses and even drive them to get one and sometimes even help them pay for it, and i get sportsman license even though I don't keep many fish at all. I'm sure most of the people on this site do the same things but we need to do more. I'm sick of having a license and not getting carded even once a year! Now that I vented I want to share with you all a petition that I found that I am very disappointed in. With all the movement towards conservation and environmental protection there is still no improvements to our MNR. And though I'm ashamed to admit it, it is OURS and it is what WE made it/let it become.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savethemnr2007/

Let me get this,your raising funds for a Gov departement that is Fully funded by tax payers and suffering because There are more civil servants in all other departements offices and within its own departement offices than trully needed?

A fund raiser for the Gov?

Dont get me wrong about needing Co's

I think its a good gesture to aid your local Co's

I always thougth taxes were a form of forceful donation

I see things are so bad,we now donate out of the good grace of our hearts to the Gov :unsure:

Wow thats shameful, It wasnt really that long ago when you didnt need a licence in Ontario. Its pathetic that you got to have a bake sale to raise funds for COs Gas. As Far as Upsidedowns thread Outstanding thread? Keep up the good work. Maybe its time to fire the thinkers in the MNR. Make it an election platform. Its us or you guys that vote for these Idiots. Now I know why when I went through the Algonquin Park Gate the one and only CO would sit there in his truck by the Gate and watch the, you know who hunters drive by. He only stopped me incidently and warned me to watch for hunters. A year later same thing so I bought him a Timmies. Maybe it should of been Gas.

We need legislative reform.

Every dollar collected from fishing lic., hunting lic., outdoor lic. - a tax on fishing/hunting equipment would be a good idea IUF it didn't go into general revenues.

Not that I am in favour of increased taxes. At least this way the it would keep the sport affordable and properly funded. Those of us who can afford some of the extra toys would contribute to higher levels of conservation - at the same time allowing others to enjoy the sport for a reasonable license fee.(those who cannot afford or do not fish enough to justify new equipment)

Also I know in the Chapleau area the lodges seem to have a fairly good working relation with the MNR and welcome conservation initiatives, they don't want their fishery to end up like to French River/Pickerel River area.

Maybe lodges that depend on fishing/hunting could have a portion of the PST they collect go into some type of MNR fund instead of general revenues.

Just my thoughts.

Every dollar collected from fishing lic., hunting lic., outdoor lic.

I can still remember when the first time the fishing license became mandatory....I think it was something like 3 bucks! The proceeds were to go to conservation and the like. A couple of years later they dropped the idea of fishing licenses and it was free once again....then our geniuses in power decided to bring them back, but the price went up!

I haven't a problem with paying a license fee to fish, what we pay now is reasonable. However, if the funds go into the general account then that is not right. All profits should be turned back into the fishery.

Anyone remember the tire tax???? The funds were to go into an account to research and to fund old tire use. Never happened, all the money went in with all the rest of the money the government collected and none of it went to where it was supposed to have gone! Then someone woke up and they dropped the tax as a political good will gesture :whistling: or whatever and the millions of dollars remained part of the general account.

Gee, and politicians wonder why no one respects them. :dunno: