Would this sway your decision on a kicker??

Landlocked

DISCLAIMER: NOT "TRYING" TO DEBATE MERC. VS. YAMMY :mellow:

Sooo...went to the boat show and dropped my wife off at the lineup to tour the $1.1 million dollar yachts while I "researched" kickers :whistling:

I was determined to find a deal on a nice Yamaha 9.9 high thrust or Mercury 9.9 Prokicker and stumbled across one glaring difference....the Yammy's don't have a pull/rope start :dunno: Apparently you can pull the cover off the Yammy and wrap a rope around the flywheel for a pull start (they both have electric start)

My reasoning for a kicker was for trolling and especially emergency backup since Erie is where I'll be playing this season.

Question is...if you had the choice would you worry about that difference? My gut tells me if the "stuff" comes down I don't want to be teetering out on the swim platform wrapping rope around a flywheel.

The Merc. sales guy loved hearing this :lol:

On a smaller Walleye style boat, probably not a big deal because of easy/safe access, but if you have to stand on a swim platform, take the cowling off, wind the rope on flywheel(it might not start on the 1st pull AND specially in rough water), I would definitely go with the Merc.

I have an electric start Johnson on a 16' tinny and I have to pull the cover off to pull start it after wrapping the cord around it. Rarely happens, but it is a bother to do so even with reasonable access to it. From a platform you would be better off with the Merc. If you have to go through the procedure of wrapping the cord around and a few pulls to get it started you will be kicking yourself in the ass for buying the Yammy, especially in rough conditions.

I've had this same issue with a motor I owned. I would look into wether it can be added as an option. A lot of engines have the space for the pull start to be added, and its about a hundred bucks as an option. Both are good engines though, just boils down to preference. I would definately have the pull start if possible. I've had to pull the cover and wrap the cord and its a pain in the butt when there is any chop, likely when you'll need it most. On a glass calm summer day, it won't be an issue, but thats also the one time you won't pooping your pants trying to do it.

I got too agree with the others, for a 9.9 having the pull start easy accessable might really save you some $$ in the sware jar.

My 25 merc is electric but if all else fails there is a pull start, but when I looked at it my first thought is great, what happens if I really need it and I drop the rope :), but a nice feature to have if your battereis fail.

My Yamaha 8hp high thrust is the same way. It is not the easiest thing to do, but when I bought it I decided i wanted Yamaha. I may look into adding it as an option. I payed about $400 less than a Merc because I found last years model still sitting in a dealers showroom.