braid vs mono on planer boards.

bobkayla

Oh boy here we go again this will open a can of worms.I use both set ups when using my planer boards.

I use mono on my Offshore Boards because the clips that come with them are meant for mono unless you do a wrap around with the braided line which has resulted in lost fish from trying to undo the wraparound.

I also use Church tackle boards which work well with braided line.

I don't believe that braided line means less hookups.Once a treble hook ends up in a fishes mouth it pretty well stays ther unless it is hooked lightly in the front of the lip.

I believe in the rod you are using will help with the hook up.The bend in the rod will compensate for the lack of stretch with the braid.I have never lost a fish yet with braid.I use 2 down rigger rods with my inline planers I am yet to see it proven that mono is better than braid for boards .I think they both work well most treble hooks provide a good hookup.

I recently purchased a battery powered hook sharpener .It sharpens hooks like night and day to what your new lure comes with.

A sharp hook will give an angler the greater advantage for a cleaner hook up.

I don't use leaders while walleye fishing but I have hooked a few pike without a leader hooked deeply in the mouth and the line was not cut by the pikes teeth.If that was mono my lures would have been gone.

My 3 cents MTP :P