Making the Trek North

gconnellee

So I live in Baltimore, MD. For those not familiar with the U.S. or Baltimore it's located just north of our Captial on the Eastern seaboard on the Chesapeake Bay. I've decided to plan a trip to the fisherman's playground...Ontario (or so I'm told, that's what it says in your Parks guide!)

Well I'm hoping you folks can help me out on best time to come during the spring?

My plan is to start on the eastern side of the great lakes and work my way around to the west and head home. I haven't put a cap on how far north I head yet. I'll be traveling in my RV (hopefully it makes it) and plan on staying at campsite across the region. I'll be equipped with two canoes, tackle, and some food & water.

Any tips and guidance would be great.....don't worry I'm not asking for any hotspots or secret holes just to be pointed in the right direction.

If you're coming anywhere near Peterborough or Bancroft, there's a huge new park about half way between those towns on Hwy #28. It's called the North Kawartha Highlands Park. It's just off of Hwy #28 near Apsley Ontario. There are about a dozen lakes and several different canoe routes with portages and tent site etc. The cost is very low. You can make a day trip to a couple of lakes, or spend as much time in the wilderness as you like. I live close bye so I can help you with some details. I'm in Arizona right now, but if your interested PM me in April and I will get more information for you

Garry2R's.

Welcome to the board Mt N' Dew, as for coming up here, I'd make it near the end of june, that way you can partake in Bass fishing. if that's not your cup of tea, then early/mid June should be nice. The Kawartha lakes would make a great place to visit, but I can't give you specific park locations, but there is good fishing there for several species.

Look forward to hearing more from you,

Maureen

Well, fishing for walleye opens in the Kawarthas 2nd Saturday in May so anytime after that would be a good time. I live in the Kawarthas (about an hour drive North of the 401) And when you figure out when/if you are going to come up here for a visit let me know and I'll help you out with a place to park and perhaps even try to get you out fishing and show you a few spots. PM me if you want more information.

For a round the province trip here is one to try.

Cross at Niagara Falls and work east then north to the Peterborough area, then hwy 7 east to Ottawa. Then hwy 17 west to Sudbury then hwy 69/400 south back to Toronto, and then back to Niagara Falls.

I hope you have three weeks to do this as there are so many places to stop and see.

I did this once in a week and it was not long enough and I live just outside Toronto.

Good luck.

actually you have a chance at doing my dream fishing vactaion in southern ontario. If you are coming from the east coast then i would cross from eastern new york. You can fish the st lawrence river for a couple days i recommend the ganaque-Brockville area of the thousand islands. All species of fish.

From there i would move north on 417 into our capitol Ottawa. You can fish the ottawa river up to pembroke and catch huge musky, good numbers of walleye bass and catfish.

from pembroke i would travel down to higway 60 then across into what some say is our crown jewel alguinquin park! Lots of trout, bass and walleye fishing and great trails. the park is huge!!!! (maybe the size of maryland or bigger) I would exit the park at the west end around huntsville and head an hour north to North bay where you can fish Lake Nipissing for Bass, walleye, perch, muskie, pike etc.....

I would also make the drive to the west end of nipissing to fish there for a couple days. the wind sweeped pines and rocks are totally awesome to look at. i think the OFC get together is on the west end at lakair 3rd or 4th weekend in june.

After the west end i would head south on 69 and stop as much as possible along georgian bay. In my opionion gbay is one of the greatest bodies of water for muskie, bass, pike and walleye.

After you fish gbay drive down the 400 to barrie and spend some time fishing for lake simcoe smallies! Huge 6 pound beasts are caught every week!

From barrie I would head south on the 400 then west on the 401 to lake st clair in southwestern ontario. This lake has great muskie, walleye and bass fishing.

Drive south to leamington (point pelee island park) and fish the western side of erie for a day or 2 and catch some great walleye and bass. while you are there spend some time at a great bar called the seacliffe. if you are lucky enough to be there a thursday night it is well worth the time spent if you dont mind looking at some nice eye candy for the evening lol. who would have thougth eye candy in leamington? trust me its there lol There is also a fish resturant on the way down to point pelee nat. park i believe it is called paula's? and it has all you can eat pickeral (walleye) i think wed nights. Incredible food!

After you are done with the western side of erie I would head back to the eastern part of erie. Fish the fort erie buffalo area for smallies, walleye trout. Make stops in niagara falls or just east at the mouth and fish the niagara bar for all species.

Head over to port credit on the north shore of lake ont. and fish the great salmon hunt! You are close to the big smoke. Toronto so dont stay to long lol. drive east on the 401 to bellville and fish the bay of quinte! Quinte has great bass, muskie pike and is famous for fall walleye.

From belleville you are a couple hours to the border crossing and on your way home. This would be my dream southern ontario fishing trip. If you want to go on an even better trip you shoudl try to make the trip to northwestern ontario. although your looking at and extra 2 day drive just to get there.

cheers!