Simcoe Report

rhare

Nice report,and cool pics as well !!!. :whistling: ..and that ice is plenty safe,it looks like about 4-5 inches in the auger shot,man thats tons of ice to be walking on,im not suicidal,or stupid and have been on the ice since i was a kid,and thats lots to be on,and its good clear solid ice too,and you did it right by even spudding your way out,and you had spikes and a float suit,so you are good to go,thanks for the report ....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Nice fish. They obviously know the risks of going on the ice. The ice thickness/person or snowmobile chart isnt really that accurate because some of us are 150lbs and others are 400lbs. I rather go on 2" of ice than park my car next to 20 other cars with 12" of ice. Everyones got their limit of ice thickness they'll go on or the height of waves on a lake. I dont think you guys should attack them for posting their report. My 2 cents....

Guest gbfisher
I just got home with my 2 whities.After getting skunked yesterday,I had a plan to go farther today with a couple of local buddies today.I got to the park at 7 ....nobody there,but wasn't long before another came along,and another.....so the 3 of us walked east with one guy stopping eary.the other guy said he missed one yesterday ,so I was following him......we got to 85 ft. and I went a little farther,but within eyeshot as it was very foggy....and within 11/2 hrs I had my 2 whities ....MMMMM dinner is going to be good tonight....TC and tight lines all

Was out yesterday as well Chev. Ice was getting soft under foot. We to had 4 plus iches of black ice with a bit of pack ice in between. We caught Trout and tons of Herring. I won't be out till it gets cold again. The rain is killing the little ice we had. Ah well............ :Gonefishing:.... looks like maybe the end of Jan for good safe ice but always keep an eye for changing conditions

Looks worse than it was but still...DONT GO IF YOU DONT KNOW!.....

IMG_0086.jpg

Edited by gbfisher

I am by all means not a pro with only several ice fishing trips under my belt and those were with outfitters. Nonetheless, based on my first impression as soon as I read the title of whitefish on Simcoe, and then having read many of the same opinions, I can't help myself and contribute my own opinion. For the life of me I can't understand how important it is to go out there to catch a fish when the ice conditions are poor enough that in a matter of a couple of weeks 2 lives plus possibly another have been lost. Clearly, these guys thought it was risky enough for them to tie a rope between them..."just in case" = exteme foolishness. IMO its these kind of reports may encourage others to do the same, which will inevitably lead to another report...but this one will be in the news. These guys may have the experience to take the precautionary messures they did, unfortunately their experience didn't tell them to fish where the ice conditions were more favourable....hmmmmmmmmm 2-4" of ice, or 8-12" of ice, its not that tough a decision.

Edited by Tackle Buster

By taking the precautions that you did, your experience told you that the ice was dangerous. If you are strapping a rope from one guy to the other, because the ice is too thin – get off the ice. Glad some of you caught some fish, but man, is it really worth it guys??? I mean seriously, in the grand scheme of life, it's a fish...

I’m glad most people see this trip as being foolish, I know I won’t be reading a report about you in the newspaper in the future… As for some of you other guys – be safe, the fish will be there tomorrow…

...DONT GO IF YOU DONT KNOW!.....

That's the problem... 9 out of 10 times it's always the "experienced" guy that we read about. Rarely have I seen a news report on some dope that didn't know what he was doing, it's always the guy that's been out there 10000 times. Experience can work against you, especially when dealing with mother nature...

Guest gbfisher

Who is experienced? I just go where I know. ^_^ Its not everyones thing.....

I know that going on the ice today is another story which you may very well read about in the paper!!...

Edited by gbfisher

Looks worse than it was but still...DONT GO IF YOU DONT KNOW!.....

Exactly, everyone has there limits.

Congrats on the trout GB, makes it worth while.

Not looking good for Simcoe for the next couple weeks. Everyone be safe and never go out alone!

Is it just me, or does it seem like the guys who go out on the ice once or twice a season are the ones whining about your report? You know....the guys who need at least a foot of ice before they consider it "safe".

I get it all the time too....."OMG.....you were out on the ice?" Meanwhile there is 6" of clear black ice......they just don't know.

Please people, if you haven't been there for yourself, you can't judge these guys actions. They obviously know what they're doing, and made it back to shore with no probs....and a nice whitie to boot! They took extra precautions just in case......Solid clear ice like that is strong stuff.........and don't forget.....IT FLOATS!!

Thanks for the report!!

Sinker

By no way did I start this thred to make people think the ice was safe. I took the auger pic to show just how unsafe the ice is.

ICE ON DEEP WATER ON LAKE SIMCOE IS NOT SAFE, END OF STORY.

Sorry Sinker - It's not wining, Troutguy knows his ice and he felt that, although it wasn't safe ice, he was confident enough in his experience to be out on it... Take from that as you will...

Guest gbfisher

Troutguy. :)

Maybe you might want to explain to puckhead that the ice you were on was good. It was the deep water area of ice on the main lake you were saying that was unsafe.

Hope that helps some. :D

That's the problem... 9 out of 10 times it's always the "experienced" guy that we read about. Rarely have I seen a news report on some dope that didn't know what he was doing, it's always the guy that's been out there 10000 times. Experience can work against you, especially when dealing with mother nature...

Your right its the guy who has been fishing 10000 times, BUT take no precautions ie: no floatsuit, no chipper, no picks, no rope, no friend

its all relative. Sometimes experience has nothing to do with it.

The ice on kemp was froze right across as far as you could see, its not the main lake. JP side is a whole different story, there is still open water out in the main lake. I fish where I know.