Lake Simcoe, Jan. 2/08

uglyfish

well, got an invite from a fellow board member on another site to join him on a trip to lake simcoe yesterday to do some perch fishing through the ice. i jumped at the chance because i have never fished simcoe before and i am new to the ice game so it was a great chance to learn. well, i have to say... i am now spoiled for any other fishing trip i will take in the future. we headed out at 6am, got on the ice and to our spot just before 8am. drilled a test hole, solid 8-10- inches of ice, lots of pressure cracks around, but even the cracks were frozen solid. jeff dropped a line down to see what was goin on down below... within 30 seconds... FISH ON! so, we drilled another hole, set up the hut and a fishin we did go! well, from 8:30-12:45 we couldn;t put our rods down. bite slowed at 12:45 just a few fish here and there till about 1:30. so we packed it up then and headed home. we went out quite a ways on the ice, fished 40-45 FOW. jigging rapalas worked great, small jigging spoon, even a bare hook tipped with a minnow, waxie or maggot got fish. they hit anythin we dropped for them. days end, we landed over 250 perch, no real dinks, either. most fish were 8-10 inches... couple 11's and i landed my best best perch ever at 12 inches. jeff was handed a surprise when he pulled up his first whitefish ever. and that was funny cause neither of us were totally sure as to what it was, but i was pretty sure it was a white fish by the look of it... then, as we threw it to the hole... we realized the season was open for them so as we went to grab it... off it went, lol. it was a great day though, super cold and windy, but still lots of fun. can't wait till next time!

100_3771.jpg

100_3775.jpg

100_3772.jpg

Jeff's Whitefish

100_3776.jpg

Jeffs Bucket, 27 Keepers

100_3781.jpg

My Bucket, 23 Keepers

100_3782.jpg

And My sink, before cleaning

100_3785.jpg

Should have got more pictures... but we kept catching fish and didn;t have time, lol... and... it was just too damn cold!! thanks for reading guys!

That sure is a great introduction to ice fishing on simcoe. Almost as many fish as Cliffs first time out right Cliff :P . Well done, now the fun part of cleaning all of those begins :)

LOL...I've been out two times....first time on Scugog....skunk.

Second time on Simcoe...same thing....skunk...

On the bright side I managed to drown a bunch of minnows and clean a bunch of lures......LOL