Read the Instructions NF

TennesseeGuy

A couple of weeks ago I was excited to receive my Garmin Nuvi 660, but was disappointed

when I ran across problems with the touch screen. What I touched did not pop up on the

screen. I was all set to contact the company about returning the unit when I checked the

trouble shooting pages of the manual. Yep, they suggested calibrating the GPS, which

was a simple procedure, and now it performs great.

I don't really have a good reason for owning a navigation system since I go to only one place and then back home.

Yup, RFM is the standard advice at work. As for a GPS from here to there, there are likely some situations where ya can't see, it's dark or foggy or whatnot. The Gps takes all the worry outa that situation.

Best to Connie.

I don't really have a good reason for owning a navigation system since I go to only one place and then back home.

UNTIL YOU NEED IT CONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not know about that unit specifically, but my first GPS saved or rears once BIG TIME!!

Out on Superior, in big rollers, and fog came in. Out of Grand Marais area basically, just a bit more north. You had to go out a shallow bay, past an island, which had a warning bell out past it.

We made it out OK, dropped the riggers down, and tried to set lines. Yeah, right, give up, rollers were 20 ft. apart and 6 ft. high.

THEN.................the fog came rolling in....no clue where we were.

As it happens, this was the 2nd time I had my old Lowrance Sportmap GPS with us(cost me almost 800 bucks back in the day)

and I told my bud who owned the boat to follow the "plot trail" back, and myself and another bud would keep an eye out each side of the boat.

We made it back into the harbor without issue, and we didn't see any land until we saw the boat launch. We were traveling rather slow though.

If you have the city main road maps loaded, its a great tool to get around issues. One of our guys at work was coming back up here last week, and ran into a major accident that closed the Trans-Canada Hwy. between Espanola and Sault Ste. Marie. He turned on his GPS, and found a detour, about 16 minutes, just a kilometer back of him. Had he not had that, he would have had to stay over in the Sault, and run into a major storm last sunday up here, instead of getting around the accident, and getting into town on saturday instead.

If you have the maps for the place you fish on it, you can navigate reasonably well, local knowledge of the area supporting it.

Tom, I'm covered on the water with my Lowrance X-15 Sonar/GPS with MapCreate for Canada and U.S. In October one of my fishing partners had a new Garmin Nuvi 660 and we fired it up after shopping the Gander Mountan store in Hermantown, MN. The nice lady in the box took us back into Duluth, then up the north shore, into Ontario and finally up the Red Lake Road. It took me on the same roads I've taken before, but I became sold on the unit. It's a sweet toy. Check some reviews and you'll agree.

The 660 wouldn't be very effective on water. It holds a ton of tunes that will play through a vehicle stereo system. Accepts an SD card. Is compatible with a bluetooth cell phone. It provides traffic information.

Enough of this. May 17, 2008 I'll honor the Rockpile with a waypoint on my X 15.

That'll make Farmer happy!

No harm no foul!

But then again that X 15 made a couple other lost souls very happy campers earlier in the week so your still ahead in the game TG! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Whopper