How is South Simcoe's Ice?

kayak fisher

Hey all,

Can anybody tell me what the ice situation is like around Virginia Beach? I am thinking of heading out there tomorrow to do some perch fishing, but only if the ice is safe. The Weather network is predicting that Sutton will be -6 from tonight until tomorrow afternoon, when it will warm up to -3. Any help is, of course, greatly appreciated!

Anyone else going up there tomorrow?

We are going tomorrow to Virginia Beach(Thursday)...was on Cooks Bay by the glenwood yesterday and it was very thick a good six inches we drilled through.....Called Dave's ice huts and he said no problems it was nice and thick...he has his huts up and going......So will see you tomorrow maybe.....Good Luck!

Lorissa & Omegaman

PS I just found this also

http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/ice.php

was told to check it today.....

Edited by Lorissa

If you insist on going, be very careful. On the news this morning they were showing York Region Police testing the area of Virginia Beach, and there was lots of slush, a bit of ice and they said there sensors show water is coming up through the snow.

Maureen

Thanks for all your responses. I decided not to go out this morning, better safe than sorry. It felt like it was about 10 C in Toronto today, definitely not good for making ice. I did manage to get something done today though. I went down to active surplus and picked up some buzzers, switches and batteries. Now all of my tip ups will give out an audible signal to let me know that I have a fish! No more lost tip ups, although my neighbours on the ice might get irritated by the sound.

Cheers

Yeah, a buzzer would not be needed for fishing perch. But then again perch aren't really big enough to pull a tip up down the hole so I figured that was obvious. The buzzer will be used for whities and lake trout, and usually if someone is fishing close enough to me to hear the buzzer it is because they saw me catch a fish and decided to drill some holes right next to me. With all of the internal combustion engines on simcoe (augers, atvs, sleds, vans, cars, pick-ups etc....) I don't think that a buzzer should be that bothersome. Happy fishing.