Here's a question?

bassjnkie

I was watching Italo fishing for whities. He said "I have caught my limit so I have to put this white fish back" and he contiued fishing, then caught a few more and released them. My question is, if you catch your limit, I thought your done for the day, am I right or wrong? Probably wrong.

Daniel

OCH

this is really a grey area question... the OFAH has said you are not allowed to continue fishing for the same species

the NMR has changed some laws so bass tourney fishermen can cull from a livewell...

they say the law is the law

but there are many species that have a 0 limit yet you are allowed to fish for them as long as you release them Muskie on a con. license is one of them

so before you catch even one muskie you have reached your limit and you continue to fish you catch one or two and you have caught and released a couple over your limit

so where is the difference if it's whitefish and you continue to fish once you reach your limit..I see no difference.....

but the MNR out on the water may see it the other way and you will be telling da judge why you did it

LOL

In best interest for the species once a limit has been reached and been kept then I feel that it is time to either pack the poles away or change strategies.

So now he catches one and it has been injured beyond survival, now what? Put it in the well and hope that one of the ones culled will survive a release? I suppose that is the answer but I feel it is not the way to do it.

Just my 1.9734 US cents worth

This question came up recently on another board and was answered directly by an MNR official:

November 06, 2007.

Let me answer a few of the basic questions we often get about fishing and limits then I’ll expand on the idea of “catch and retain”:

Question 1. Can I practice catch and release for fish during the closed season?

Answer 1. No, during the closed season for a species of fish a person cannot “fish for” that species regardless of whether they intend to release the fish.

Question 2. If I hold a Conservation Fishing Licence can I fish for species such as muskellunge that have a zero (0) limit?

Answer 2. Yes, as long as any zero limit species caught are immediately released into the water from which they were caught.

Question 3. If I have caught and kept a limit of fish can I continue to fish for that species of fish?

Answer 3. Yes, as long as you do not retain any of the additional fish of the species that you already have a limit of you may continue to fish.

The question of fishing after a limit of fish has been caught and retained (on a stringer, or in a cooler or bucket) is a common one. The answer to the question comes from section 24 of the Ontario Fishery Regulations, 1989 which can be viewed at the following web-site:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/F-14/SOR-89-9...t.html?noCookie

When we talk about fishing limits we must read the words “catch and retain” together - to retain a fish in this context is to hold the fish for any longer than it takes release it; placing a fish on a stringer or in a cooler or pail would be examples of retaining a fish. Fish caught in the morning then eaten as a “shore lunch” have been retained and affect the number of fish the person can catch and retain in the afternoon. Once a person retains a fish it cannot be “un-retained” that day.

If the fish is of a species where a size limit applies it would then be reasonable to hold the fish long enough to determine whether or not the fish is in or out of the restricted size. Due diligence in this case would require the person to have a measuring device with them; it wouldn’t be reasonable to have to carry the fish back to a car, or back to camp, to measure the fish.

Possession of fish is another issue that comes up often. Possession applies whether a person has a fish in the boat, at the cottage or in the freezer at home. All fish, wherever they are possessed, must be considered together when a person thinks about his/her possession limit. Possession is not affected by the calendar either; a fish caught in January and placed in the freezer is still in possession during the open water season in May if it’s still down in the freezer.

Inserted as an addition: If you have 5 rainbow in the freezer and the local possession limit is five rainbow, you may fish provided that all fish (rainbow) are immediately returned to the water.

One thing to keep in mind is that the new Ontario Fishery Regulation, 2007 are scheduled to come into effect in January of 2008. Please be sure to check these regulations, and the Recreation Fishing Regulations Summary, for new changes.

If you have any other general questions about fishing you may find the answers on the MNR Enforcement web-site, if your question is not answered contact us through the link on the "Ask a Conservation Officer" page:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/enforcement/

As always we encourage everyone to help Ontario’s Conservation Officers protect your natural resources; to report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Mark Robbins

Provincial Enforcement Advisor

Enforcement Branch

Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources

Thanks for your interest,

Mark

Go Big Or Get Off The Water

yes but...solopaddler

COs on the ice have told us the opposite, of that that guy stated..on this and many other laws..they don't know their own regs. or they have a different read on them..so, you may still be charged and will have to fight it out in court

It seems to me that the Ontario MNR "speaks with forked tongue".

On the one side, the Ontario MNR preaches about protecting our fishing resources. And on the other side, the Ontario Fishing Regulations are written in such a way that our fishing resources are not protected. As examples, under previous regulations, being able to continue fishing once a limit was retained, certainly provided the potential for needlessly killing fish. Under the new 2008 rule for catch and retain, which allows anyone to cull fish from livewells, also provides the potential for needlessly killing fish.

If the Ontario MNR doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to step up to the plate, then the fishing fraternity should become more active in promoting fishing ethics.

Sorry for the vent!