Crown land camping/fishing.

Stoty

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows a decent lake on crown land (so we can camp anywhere on the lake/islands), and the fishing is decent. My buddy and I have been doing this annual trip for 2 yrs now and have went to Deerock Lake both years. We would catch tons of fish, but our biggest was 2.1 lbs. We are used to catching nice fish, and were really disapointed.

We are looking for a lake within 3 hrs of the GTA with good bass & pike fishing.

If anyone knows of any decent lakes (that they are willing to share), please let me know!

You can email me at [email protected], PM me or reply to this post.

Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it.

*Stoty

No problem. What I like to do is scope out an area with the crown land use atlas, figure out how to get there with the road map (google earth) then start looking for local bait and tackle shops or guide services via the internet and telephone. They will hold the local information that you need.

Call them, e-mail them, they will be glad to talk to you.

There are several islands on Lower Buckhorn that you can use. There's several camping spots at Lovesick and there are also several island spots on Stoney. There's no pike, in this area, but I'll bet Musky will do...grin.

If you want a more wilderness type experience, the North Kawarthas Park is about 20k north of Burliegh Falls, near Apsley. You will need a canoe, to reach the camping spots and it's all Bass fishing.

Garry2rs

Deerrock was a great lake at one point, (check out the 6.5 smallie from there on the wall of Bill's bait in Cloyne), still has lots of fish but as you said smaller sized.

I find Skootamata alot better for size but tougher to locate numbers, could be I haven;t fished it enough, it is a fairly big lake.

My favourite crown land camping/fishing lake is north of there though, my avatar pic was taken there....pm sent.

Get a BackRoads MapBook titled Algonquin Region Go to Map number33 and you will see a road South off Highway 17 Called Mackey Rd which will lead you to Mackay Creek Takeout. You can either go East or West and find the holes. Its a great little known Canoe route. Get a TOPO map and GPS and explore the logging Roads which lead to Lakes and Rustic Camp Grounds. Area borders Algonquin Park East side.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I should have mentioned that I would like a lake where I can bring my boat to.

With my buddy (6'4, 300lbs), and all our camping stuff, we have to have a boat just to carry everything!

Again, thanks for the replies, and I cant wait to try out some of the spots!