GPS through the winter

Tom McCutcheon

Just a question.

Has anyone used their boats GPS/fishfinder in the winter for ice fishing? I have a Lowrance 522C with the GPS chip and wish to mount it on the front of an ATV. Only the GPS would be powered from the atv battery, the transducer connection would not be used. I am asking this because the instruction manual states it is operable to -28C, thats darn cold but I don't want to end up with an $800. paperweight.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Thanks Tom.

Well you can always purchase a nice handheld model,and they work great and you can get all the mapping,and downloads too,i would not risk doing that to my expensive graph !!! no way...i use my handheld alot,and you can take it anywhere,you should consider all options before risking your good unit,goo-luck,the members will have lots of ideas too... :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Also consider darn near every new car out there has an LCD screen in them for navigation. Not eveyone is parking in a heated garage.

It is true, but they probably use so called "Low-temperature poly-silicon TFT LCD", or internal LCD heater.

Edited by keram

Also consider darn near every new car out there has an LCD screen in them for navigation. Not eveyone is parking in a heated garage.

I have to agree with that. Also, I don't know what kind the outside LCD screens that are all the rage at Tim Hortons are, but they also seem to work just fine no matter what the weather is outside. If they have some sort of heater or what but the other day the wind was frigid blasting a mere 80kph and the screen was working flawlessly even though the snow was piled right up to about an inch over the start of the screen on the outside of the casing. So some screens seem to work in just about any condition.

if your lcd starts to lag or dissappear get a heat pack and tape it or use an elastic to attach it to the back of the fish finder...

i took my fishfinder out once and lost the display

a heat pack keeps it from freezing... tip i heard for using your fishfinder on the ice...