Nipigon Trout & Pike Info.

Moosebunk

Next August there's a good possibility myself and a friend or two will be making the treck out to Nipigon. The plan over the course of a week or so is to divide our time between lakers, brookies and pike once we're there.

I hope to over the winter tie some bucktails and maybe a few flies, and maybe even make some lures for the trip. Any info with that would be great.

Secondly, any gear and other fishing tips are more than welcome. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks.

....Geeeez I'd think Dan would be all over this. ;)

I can give you a little info Drew as I've been there once, definitely going back though.

Buck tail jigs, definitely a must for brookies, tie them in muddler fashion. In fact I'll be taking a fly rod next time with an ample supply of muddlers and streamer paterns. Natural patterns are tops but I think some flashier ones may turn them on when they're somewhat neutral.

Lakers were very pentiful but were also deep, take riggers if you can. Large flashy spoons were the ticket over body baits.

Pike, well they are there and some real brutes! We didn't target them but I'm guessing standard pike baits (lures) would do the trick. We often spotted/encountered them any time we saw weeds which were sparesly scattered in the shallower shoal and shore areas.

Nipigon is truly a gem and one trip there is certainly has left me itching to get back. Let me know when and where you'll be going. Perhaps I can time my late summer trip to coincide with yours and we can converse over a few wobbly pops. :)

This is the home waters for Dan and me. It is an awesome place to fish, but very big water, especially if you want to go after monster lakers. Here are a few of the charter guys.

If you are looking to fish for big lakers, try one of these charter guys out of Beardmore.

The Hook Shop - Nolan @ Ted Cox (807)875-2527

Darren Goodman (807)875-2873

Herbie Goodman (807)875-2233

Dave Davison (807)875-2348

For lakers, I like the big canoe spoons or baits that imitate whitefish. Pike hit anything and seem to becoming more plentiful. For Brookies, I prefer jig flies or little cleos for the spinning gear. To me the best way is to fly fish with a sink tip line and strip leech patterns. I have a few examples on my site. Here is an example to tease you. Alan

split_frame_600_w_b.jpg

I'll add just a few more things. Lake Nipigon is big, big water. It demands respect. It also has it's share of shallow rocky areas, many of which are just below the waters surface. I've seen more than a few tourists get towed back into shore with no bottom end left of their motor. Finding someone to tow you back in could be a problem in itself. Speil and I had a close call with some rocks last year in his boat. Pea soup thick fog had us going 90 degrees to where I thought we were going. Luckily we were going very slow and Spiels motor only suffered a small Nipigon souvineer. A GPS will solve that problem if you know where you are supposed to be going.

There's a few things about the regs that you should know. Lake Nipigon is totally barbless. You cannot be in possession of live Trout. Limit for Brook Trout is one fish over 22". There's a slot size for other species as well, but I'm not sure just what it is as I rarely target other species. As mention, "jig flies" are the ticket for Brook Trout up here. I've also caught my share on countdown Rapalas, and few on spoons. The Pike that I catch are usually incidental fish. There are some monsters out there. The Lake Trout fishing is legendary, as I'm sure you know. As Al mentioned, Lucky Strike canoe spoons are a local favorite.

Some jig flies.

Jigflies.jpg

Muddler jig, aka Brook Trout candy.

Muddler1.jpg

A Brook Trout.

442Jojo1.jpg

I found this on shore last year.

aug06nip1.jpg

Morning all,

Thanks for that input. I forgot I had Al's site in my faves under Nipigon. And yes, I was just looking at it and found the jig flies. They'll be good and fun to tie and I might have to test them on the searuns up here in May

Glad to know about the spoons for lakers too. Just getting out there for the experience will be awesome, I'd love to catch one of each and if it happens that'd be enough success for me. Three big trips coming this summer and as this snow sets in I can't tell yas how pumped I am for all of them. This one is the trip I feel least prepared for though.

Now about the barbless, I'm taking it that it is single barbless??? Or is it just barbless? And if fly fishing are dropper flies allowed? And if trolling lakers is a single hooked streamer allowed behind a spoon?

Dan's report is right on. The lake demands respect and the reefs can be treacherous. It is single barbless. That means you can use one treble but need to take the other off countdowns and those large laker spoons with trebles on the front and back. I rarely use trebles anymore and find I get better hook ups with a single siawash hook. As for tandem flies for brookies...I have heard of a few guys try it in the river but virtually all use one fly. But I don't know for sure. Remember, this river has a huge current and it is difficult enough getting one fly down without the tangles and hassels of another fly.

Alan

• 1 month later...

Still looking into this... but, it seems there's little info on anything really. (was checking out the jig flies again though... cool stuff)

Like I said before, brookies, lakers and pike are the plan.

I've been looking online for cabin rentals, motels, crownland to camp, or pay campsites to camp at... anything really. We have about 7-8 days out there and I'd love to have at least one thing in mind to drive towards, and then options for other stays as well. I'd break down those days camping and renting or motel'ing it, just looking for something reasonably close to South Bay.

Any places exist???

Is the camping relatively safe from idiot robbers???

Anyone know of crownland or any campsites available?

Edited by Moosebunk

I think I've seen that link Wayne. Always looking myself. Kinda 50/50 on Bren's next move for school... Lakehead or Queens are the options. I'm good to move either way. 18 months and maybe no more "Moose" to the Bunk. :mellow::o:(

BTW, when are you flying up for a weekend this summer? June or July? Early June for best fishing bud. :whistling:

Man, I can't wait for this trip or a couple others in the works for this summer.

Unlike most of the lakes people talk about here, you won't find hotel/motel accommodations on Lake Nipigon. It's truly a gem with very few access points. In fact there's no other lake on the entire planet quite like it. You'll see why when you visit. There's so many stocked lakes that boast "Nipigon strain Brook Trout". What could be better than fishing the lake that the strain came from?

Anyways, I'll need a schedule from you. Funny thing is that when you're due down south, I might be way north at a fly in job. I have a job at Kingfisher Lake. It would be great if you, Spiel, Gerritt, Guidofisherman, and I, as well as a few others could hook up for a few days. Let's start making some plans.

I'm in for boozing. Gotta get there first. My buddy I can imagine would be up for it, if not... I am. hehe.

Dates are 18th - 26th for us.

Ohhh yeah... I'll be the smelly guy curled up under a tree by some lake access somewhere. lol.

Edited by Moosebunk

August..right Drew?

Dan.. is there a well sheltered bay to land and moor a floatplane? :dunno:

Maybe I can arrange for that to be Leah's gal week at the lake and I'll leave!

I'll need co-ords ! Drew has my cottage phone number.

There is a well sheltered bay to land on, depending on the wind direction Wayne. I'll send you some co-ords in a day or two so that you can check it out for yourself. It would be great to have you there.

http://www.mccollumsresort.com/resort.htm

It might be the only place on that huge lake where you can rent cabins or a room. There was another place close by but I believe that business is closed. They wanted to rent only by the week but I think they would be accommodating late August when there is little business and most families are getting ready for school. They have a dock and water access to the main lake. Nice people, clean cabins.

Drew, that is HUGE water...I thought you were a river rat.

I hope to over the winter tie some bucktails and maybe a few flies, and maybe even make some lures for the trip. Any info with that would be great.

Secondly, any gear and other fishing tips are more than welcome. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks.

Drew, here's a great link on fly tying with step-by-step instructions and pictures...My favorites are the Muddler, Sculpin Woolhead Bunny and the Crystal Egg Wooly Bugger.....Once you open the link you can scoll down and open the home page for more fly patterns...these flies have produced some really nice trout for me :thumbsup_anim:

http://www.akflyfishers.com/fom_muddler_minnow.html

Steve

We went to Nipigon last August to Pike fish.The main lake was still too warm for Pike in the bay and we did not feel confident to travel very far out on the main lake.walleye fishing on the river by the camp was very good.We fished a back lake,with the owners boat.This was a very nice lake for both pike and eyes. The owner has two large boats for charters.The cabin we stwyed in was outstanding.I have made over thirty trips over forty-three years and this was the nicest cabin I have ever stayed in.The owners and his father are very good honest people and very enjoyable to be around.We are going back this year early June.For us it is 1260 miles one way. Onamanriverresort.com phone 807 879 2508 Good Fishing, Pikeman