Keep An Eye On The Skys Tonight Ofners....

nautifish

Event #79 - 13 December 2006

Issued: 05:55 UTC, 13 December 2006

SOURCE EVENT

X-Class Proton Flare from Region 930 on 13 December 2006

Type II: 1534 km/sec

Estimated LASCO-derived Plane of Sky Velocity: N/A

ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL OF SHOCK AT EARTH

Estimated Impact Window: 00:00 UTC on 14 December to 21:00 UTC on 14 December

Preferred Predicted Impact Time: 07:00 UTC on 14 December (2:00 am EST on 14 December)

Estimated Shock Strength (0=Weakest, 9=Strongest): 7-8

Predicted Behavior of IMF at Shock Impact

At Shock Impact, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field is predicted to initially turn:

NORTHWARD

EVENT #79 NOTES:

A major class X3.4 solar flare with associated strong radio emissions including a Type II, Type IV sweeps and an intense 44,000 sfu tenflare were observed from Region 930 at 02:41 UTC on 13 December. A prompt Ground Level Event (GLE) was associated with this event as near relativistic protons impacted the Earth's magnetic field. Although there is no LASCO imagery at the time this prediction was released, there is sufficient evidence to suggest that a high velocity coronal mass ejection was associated with this event. The initial impact will likely be associated with a strong northward turning of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF), which would help reduce the intensity of the geomagnetic and auroral storming that occurs immediately after the disturbance arrives. However, during the following 12 to 18 hours, the IMF is expected to rotate into a southward orientation and produce possibly strong to intense storm conditions. Geomagnetic K-indices of 6 to 9 are considered possible with this event. This is a significant event and has the potential to produce widespread manifestations of geomagnetic and auroral activity during the UTC day of 14 December (evening/early morning hours of 13/14 December over North America).

I will be trying to stay up for as long as i can tonight for this one. Want to try and catch it on video.

lol no whooper that was the meoters Tonight is the northern lights as long as you have clear skys...Which we do right now here in PD.....So i keep popping outside to check,,, Was also on the weather channel this evening they are saying that they could be seen as far south as California tonight because the solar flare is so powerfull.

Last time i saw the northern lights was five yrs ago It was a 1st for me and i thought we were being invaded by aliens...Kinda reminded me of that movie Independence day....lol

Ya had me nauti I just went out back to have a look see, kinda cloudy but could see a few stars anyho.

I had the pleasure of seeing the northern lights a few times but each time it was while I was on trips in Northern Ontario. The summer before last was the most amazing display that I have ever seen VERY COOL :thumbsup_anim::worthy:

Whopper

Well rich it is now 11.45pm i have to be up in Six hrs for work but i am still up and keep popping my head out the back door....Nothing yet.....Man i hope it aint at 3.00am in the morning not sure i can stay awake that long.....lol........

Anyone else keeping an eye on the night sky right now?