Grimy Outboard Shaft? NF

pikehunter

It's like it's baked on and consists of a mixture of water surface scum, oil, unburned fuel and whatever else could possibly be caked on there.

When I asked the boat mechanic where I bought a couple of years ago his answer was "Oven cleaner." I tried oven cleaner last year, it did work but still required some elbow grease. My problem with oven cleaner is that it is very corrosive and I would prefer to use something else. OC can't be too good for the painted surface after repeated use and what could any overspray do the the aluminum boats painted or bare finish? I kind of want to get everything all spic and span for winter storage and am greatful if anyone has any tips

Thanks.

Guest skeeter99

swish toilet bowl cleaner or zep toilet bowl cleaner(home depot) will take anything off

or what I sometimes do which is not as corrosive is some good cleaner wax apply liberally and polish off (yes a little elbow grease) but comes out like a showroom shine, clean first with acid then polish

Brake Kleen ....

Muriatic Acid 30% followed by a Baking Soda rub-down [ neutralizes the acid], wash down with warm soapy water,dry off , apply coat of oil with rag or brush.

some performance enthusiasts still do this with crankshafts when they rebuild the engines.