Balsam Sunday morning

Kerry

Well I got out on balsam this morning looking for a musky but it wasn't to be.Reaqlly nice out there and not many boats around.I did get this little guy early at Ant island and he fought like a champ all the way in:

100_1013.jpg

Best part was catching him on my just made this week 2oz spinnerbait.I'm gonna keep RealPro busy this winter!

Kerry

He was fat for sure,I caught him off the break in about 11 ft of water just before 8 am. The water temps were just over 50 as musky66 said.I really didn't get to do much of a pattern as he hit on my second retrieve and stupid me didn't throw out a marker while taking the pic so I kinda lost my position and after an hour working that area I moved on.I did find some warmer water almost 52 degrees off of Grand island and some colder at 49 by Ball island.Neither made a difference for me.I tried casting and trolling and there is still an awful lot of green weeds out there.

It sure is fun building your own lures and catching something on them.I 've got lots of stuff to play with over the winter and it was nice to test things out and see how they worked.That 2ouncer looks really good in the water and runs really nice except it's a chunk and I made it with the intentions of slow rolling deeper drop offs.I made a couple of 1 oz ones which really throw easy and also retrieve easier for less depth.

You know the season is fast coming to an end when you drive thru Mitchell and all you see is mud and stumps.

Kerry

Surprisingly enough it wasn't windy really at all today till I headed off about 1:30 so I can't really knock the weather as I usually have much better days on the water when it's calm anyway.

Incidentally Rizzo a couple of my winter projects are two sledges that I ordered.A 6" & a 9" weighted.Haven't really decided what colour I'm going with yet.I was using shad raps in the same manner today but I think something that will suspend and not rise real quick would be more appropriate as I couldn't really let those ones just hang there or they come right up to the surface.That'll have to wait till next year.

Kerry