dumbass move causes....

stuntman

It causes the need to ask about outboard motors.

Broke the fin, broke a prop but do not know if I broke anything else like the prop shaft!

How do I tell if there is damaged the lower unit without putting it in the water?

Should there be any play in the prop shaft?

The good news is that there is no fluid leakage.

I am a total newbie on motors and and want to avoid another dumb move.

thanks,

stuntman (feeling kind of sad, need help...please)

Edited by stuntman

depends ,put the prop back on and spin it by hand see if your propshafts bent,if it is get it fixed if not put on your spare ,gears can take several rubs ,every time thou they get lil chips out of them some on the gears some on the pinion till finally they let go could be fine ,could drop the oil and check for filings or pieces

Thanks for the input 2 Tone Z71.

I don't see any wobble in the shaft when turning it by hand (it does not spin freely, I think that is normal due to being engaged).

The engine has not been run since the damage so fillings will not be present.

Its just the play in the shaft I wonder about.....from your post I am thinking that this is normal on most motors. Correct? Anyone have a late 4 stroke merc they can wiggle for me?

stuntman

Edited by stuntman

3 summers ago at Lakair..we took about 4 inches off the bottom of BCanucks 90 Merc and coned all three blades of his prop at about 30 MPH on a shoal. All was fine after changing props. They take a pretty good licking...unless you hit the nose of the "bullet".

Edited by irishfield

Feeling a bit better.....sickness in my stomach lessening....more at rest :canadian: thank you

This incident happened while the boat was on the trailer. I have not seen people put any type of basic protection around their motors while on a trailer....does anyone here do that?

thanks guys....more posts are welcome.

When you twist your prop shaft, most of the time you will lose the sealing around the shaft.

If this happens, there will be oil leakage past the seal.

I have never seen a prop shaft that is bent with out it cracking at the bearing boss.

Most damage that occurs from hitting something happens to the drive shaft(shaft that connects the engine to

lower unit) The oil leakage is harder to see. The oil will leak into the impeller housing.

This is rare, but some times there is twisting without oil leakage. If this occurs their should be wear sighs on the

pinion and bevel gear.

If you are still not sure take it to a machine shop. They will put it in a lathe and check it to see if it is still true.

Oh the dreaded prop shaft I bent that out of shape twice in the summer of 2001 .First time cost me $500.00 for a new propshaft and prop that was welded .I knew right away when I changed the prop it was very unbalanced just like a tire that is unbalanced on a car.

The 2nd time was the same but not as costly again unblanced so sounds like you got off easy.I have learned alot since then I talk to locals when venturing into a new lake and if I can I buy a map of the lake.

Good Luck