Bad news for the french river area

2 tone z71

Well i hope that it runs its course,and then dissapates, :stretcher::unsure: i hear its quite the nasty stuff to birds as well...and that it can kill waterfowl like loons too....i hope it doesnt does this appear normal at this time of year,look at what went on with the carp this year,and all the die-offs....i hope this isnt a sign of things to come...with all these low water and record heat summers.....man that sucks !!!!!!! :angry::mellow:

Gonna have to wait and see...the lake my parents are on went completely blue last year in the Fall (3-mile, near Windermere) and everyone freaked out. I have no idea if this (the French) is the same kind of bloom, but the lake had great fishing this Spring, and there was no noticeable kill like what Scugog saw.

Guest lundboy

It doesn't help that at least 50% of all the residential septic systems are more than 30 years old and leach the contents into the river. Ranger Bay is horrendous for that, MNR has known about it for years.

Some of them are still using 45 gallon drums buried in the ground with holes drilled in them.

With that much organic waste it doesn't take long for algae to go insane.

The MOE passed some laws back in 2003 (or 2004), that strictly dictates no more septic systems, only tile beds and even that has to be inspected.