Am I wishfull thinking, or did I just hear on the radio

irishfield

JF, your post makes you appear to be a liberal voter...a very polite one albeit.

I agree with you somewhat that the pay and the slagging politicians get probably means most qualified people are smart enough to stay away. BUT, there are definitely differences between parties in terms of the quality of people...and I won't go more into it than that (my shot at being polite)

Wayne: sorry to hear about that....I guess taking shots at land owners is the brainless vote getter, I am sure the money they take from you, which costs them the one vote they lose with you, they more than make up for when they hand out your money to many more bottom feeders. They pick up all of those voters (way more than the one vote they lost with you). Its how they got elected.

Edited by Kirk

JF, your post makes you appear to be a liberal voter...a very polite one albeit.

I agree with you somewhat that the pay and the slagging politicians get probably means most qualified people are smart enough to stay away. BUT, there are definitely differences between parties in terms of the quality of people...and I won't go more into it than that (my shot at being polite)

Wayne: sorry to hear about that....I guess taking shots at land owners is the brainless vote getter, I am sure the money they take from you, which costs them the one vote they lose with you, they more than make up for when they hand out your money to many more bottom feeders. They pick up all of those voters (way more than the one vote they lost with you). Its how they got elected.

I see myself as more of a conservative dressed up in liberal clothes. If you mean the capitalized variety of Liberal, I was pre-conditioned by my Dad that the PC's were the only guys worth voting for. Then I decided on my own that I was more in tune with Liberal party policy although I almost went over to the dark side (NDP) for a while. In practice I vote for the man (or woman) now who sounds like they best represent the voice of reason in hopes that more folks will do the same and ultimately we'll end up with a whole mess of sensible people in control. I dislike partisan politics which I know is counter to my earlier words about the importance of solidarity, but I don't see the major parties as being loyal to anything as much as to their own power and position, paying lip service only to the good or the will of the electorate. I disagree that we don't get qualified people elected. It's more that the good ones get ground up by the partisan machine and are forced to toe the party line or get pushed aside. The major parties are too much about power and influence and not enough about what's best for the country or the province.

As for Wayne's situation the only thought that comes to mind, other than that it sucks, is that there should be enough voices like his to take a strong appeal to the OMB. I'm not actually sure that this even falls under the purview of the OMB but it's worth checking. Seems to me that it's a pretty arbitrary act and may be vulnerable to challenge if the OMB can hear it, and there's always the courts if that doesn't work. Is the gov't insulated against class actions in this type of situation? Was there any prior notice of this? I'm not really up to speed on all the ins & outs of Crown Patents so I'm not the one to really give advice but before I knuckled under I'd sure ask some questions of a lawyer, or even a planner, familiar with the process.

JF

I dislike partisan politics which I know is counter to my earlier words about the importance of solidarity, but I don't see the major parties as being loyal to anything as much as to their own power and position, paying lip service only to the good or the will of the electorate. I disagree that we don't get qualified people elected. It's more that the good ones get ground up by the partisan machine and are forced to toe the party line or get pushed aside. The major parties are too much about power and influence and not enough about what's best for the country or the province.

JF

Isn't this something like what happened to the Romans? I was taught in school many years ago "Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it" :whistling:

Isn't this something like what happened to the Romans? I was taught in school many years ago "Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it" :whistling:

You mean bread & circuses? Yeah. That's part of it. We're suckers for instant gratification at the expense of long term gain and the pols know it full well. They do just enough pork barrelling to make us feel good temporarily while what they're really doing is protecting the party assets. Lotsa smoke and mirrors going on. Part of the problem is that too many of us are content to let politicians be politicians instead of responsible riding representatives.

JF

1. Water Quality

2. Climate Change

3. Enforcement

Water quality and climate change, don't these matters fall under Ministry of Environment juresdiction? I'm not saying it does but merely suggesting these are amongst many matters that are overlapped by the MoE and MNR. Isn't it time to combine resources - infrastructure, biologists, management etc?

-Brian

Water quality and climate change, don't these matters fall under Ministry of Environment juresdiction? I'm not saying it does but merely suggesting these are amongst many matters that are overlapped by the MoE and MNR. Isn't it time to combine resources - infrastructure, biologists, management etc?

-Brian

You're probably right about the crossover but combining resources might be tougher than solving all the problems we face. I suspect that the ministries are every bit as territorial as the various departments of large corporations, fiercely protective of every budget dollar. I think you'll find that the peripheral involvement of the first two is why OFAH doesn't address them directly as hot issues.

JF

This is the same person that while Minster Of Transport refused to allow single passenger motorcycles into HOV lanes, on the grounds that she compared bikes to Smart Cars and Miatas. And then there is the fascist fiasco that is Bill 203.

I'm not expecting much out of her, and apparently neither is her party seeing as how the MNR is the red-headed stepchild of cabinet posts.

Face it, another 3 years of special interest boot licking and the accelerated decline of our outdoors was all but inevitable the heartbeat after she was shuffled.