Garage Door Opener Help (nf)

huey graphite

I just finished installing a Craftsman 1/2hp garage door opener. Bought the unit 2 years ago from a clearance auction, hence no warranty.

On initial testing the motor appears to run in reverse. While the door was closed the opener ran in the direction as if it were closing an open door (the trolley moved away from the opener). The track bowed and ripped the header bracket out of the drywall.

There was nothing done incorrectly during the assembly or install that may have caused it. I suspect the motor may have been wired backwards to the circuit board in the factory.

I called the technical support line and they agreed that it sounds like incorrect wiring.

Any experts out there that may have experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

HG

I'm only taking a guess at this, but what's the possibility that the motor had been activated once before the chain was added over the sprocket. In that case, the next function the motor would do is go in the opposite direction, hence trying to close an already closed door. Set the motor, the track, the trolley and the end pulley on the ground as if it were all together with the door attached and do an activation. If it goes wrong again, quickly unplug the motor, take of the chain and plug it back in and let it go through its cycle. Then you should be at the right start point.

I'm only taking a guess at this, but what's the possibility that the motor had been activated once before the chain was added over the sprocket. In that case, the next function the motor would do is go in the opposite direction, hence trying to close an already closed door. Set the motor, the track, the trolley and the end pulley on the ground as if it were all together with the door attached and do an activation. If it goes wrong again, quickly unplug the motor, take of the chain and plug it back in and let it go through its cycle. Then you should be at the right start point.

Hey Fisherman,

That was it! I did exactly as you recommended and it worked. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Keram,

Thank you as well. You had a good point as they caution you on a twisted chain throughout the install process.