Would you rent a prospector tent vs a cottage?

irishfield

With the permission of the mods I ask this simple question. If you were to consider a week or two vacation on Lake Temagami, where a 2 bdrm cottage rents from about $800 to $1000/week, would you consider renting a prospector tent like TJ has up at Camp Jiggy Jiggy (pic is his beauty get away spot).

14.jpg

Congratulations Wayne. Yes I would rent this beauty for a week. I would also consider the trailer as well,,,but I don't care for the cramped feeling I have in them. After being the "water girl" on our wilderness camping trip, it really wasn't a big deal, but waking up cold in the morning sure was (normal tent). I love that area in the fall...late September early October which means chilly nights...I can take a little less comforts ie no running water, no hydro...I personally like to feel that I have truly been camping.

You definitely have some thinking to do but how exciting....impossible to appeal to everyone's taste... Looking forward to the updates. I would have no problem with spending $600.00 for the week to be at the water, in beautiful country, fishing and privacy....money well spent.

All the best.

Ahhh ... i think ill chime in on this one... finnaly got a min..

I have spent ALOT of time in prospectors tents, in the early days of my life, i spent many moons during all 4 seasons in prospectors tents. for 3 years i practically lived in them (good and bad) while prospecting. Ive spent beutiful summer nites and -40 nites in them. And I can tell you this, your comfort is all dependant on how well the tent is put together. If you keep them heated, they stay dry and you don't get that mildewy feeling. Woods stoves are a MUST and I just picked up a small oil stove so i can keep a constant heat in the sleeping tent.

I did many fly in trips at all times of the year and we stayed in prospectors tents, wife kids and all. Very comfortable and very happy.

The main reason I put a tent(s) up at Jiggy Jiggy was the cost and labour involved with getting the material into my remote location. We truly enjoy the remote experience and being in the tent is part of "ambiance" of being in the bush to me.

I will say this though, if your in the tent, your likely paying for a fairly remote experience. Privacy is a bit of an issue, although when we stay with people up there its generally people who know us and are used to a camping type experience which generally makes people less shy.

Is it a place for "urban women" who need the comforts of home to enjoy the outdoors... nope.. I heard stories from one pilot of women with thier husbands getting outta the plane seeing the tent... and turning around and getting back on the plane...

Is it a place for "the boys" to get away for a cheap weekend, certainly.

Theres a reason we call it camp and not the cottage....

Now as for the question... would I rent it... I sure would, but it it would have to be less than half the price of a nice cottage.